Hi there, found this recipe in the book but could you clarify whether or not unwaxed fruit is needed. Many thanks.
Candied sticks wrapped in cellophane make a fabulous festive gift. Make these sumptuous sweetmeats in early December and relax knowing you have something impressive to take to all those Christmas parties. This recipe uses orange peel but any citrus fruit will work, as will milk or white chocolate instead of plain. Glucose syrup is optional but does prevent the sticks becoming too hard - you can find glucose syrup at most chemists. Find more great recipes in Pams River Cottage Preserves Handbook avilable here: http://astore.amazon.co.uk/rivecott-21/detail/0747595321Rate this recipe:
- 10 mins
- 30 mins
- 4-5 large oranges
- 500g granulated sugar
- 1tbsp glucose syrup
- 200g good plain chocolate
Scrub the oranges and using a sharp knife, remove the peel and attached pith. Weigh out 250g or peel and cut into slices about 6mm x 5cm. Place the peel in a large pan and cover with 2 litres of cold water.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, drain and return to the pan with 1 litre of cold water. Bring to the boil again and simmer, covered, this time for 45 minutes. Then add the sugar and stir until it’s dissolved, simmer for a further 30 minutes, still covered. Remove from the heat and leave to stand for 24 hours.
Bring the pan to the boil again - if using glucose syrup, add it now - and boil for 30 minutes, until all the liquid has evaporated and the sticks are coated with bubbling syrup. Allow to cool then carefully remove sticks to a wire rack. Leave in a warm place (an airing cupboard is ideal) for 24 hours.
Break the chocolate in to pieces and melt in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Remove from heat and dip half of each orange stick in the melted chocolate, placing on greaseproof paper to set. Before dipping the sticks will last 3-4 months, once dipped in chocolate they are best eaten within 3 weeks.
• Candied orange sticks feature in our new Online Preserves course. We will also be adding Hedgerow and Bread to our current courses, Online Game, Pig & Pork, Catch & Cook and Mushroom Magic next week. Each course is crammed with eight hours of tutorials, step-by-step guides and video recipes, and cost �20 in our online shop however all of them come free with River Cottage Membership, which is �35 a year.
How long will these keep please? I have some, kept dry, in a tin, made before Christmas 2010. No chocolate added. They have a little extra sugar in with them too.
If they will keep, can I do the same with lemons and limes and then use them in my baking? I've always bought candied peel in the past but this is so much better. Thank you Pam for a fab recipe.
Love this recipe - made the candied orange peel sticks for gifts in my christmas hampers this year - really easy to make! And well worth the wait of letting them rest in the airing cupboard. Check them out on my blog www.thepengelly.blogspot.com. Can't wait to make another batch as I gave all of mine away!
- Confit of Goose Legs By: HughFW
- Roasted sweet beet relish By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Shortbread By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- No added sugar childrens mince pies By: Halff Charity
- Sarah's Carrot Cake By: SarahT
- Christmas tree biscuits By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- orange & grapefruit marmalade (Microwave) By: lb1
- Brazil and apricot Florentines By: Julie D
- Parkin cake with Orange twist By: Bradders
- Strawberry, honey and chocolate dippers By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Christmas Marmalade By: jonnylennon
- Hugh's chocolate, prunes and brandy By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Bramley lemon curd By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- FIVE MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE FOR ONE By: penguinpotty
- The ultimate Plain/Fudge/chocolate shortbread By: Kristy
- Chocolate pear cake By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Dog bone biscuits By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Blackberry, apple and orange smoothie By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Horseradish vinegar By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Pumpkin Marmalade By: Snow Cloud
- Chocolate Torte By: Kristy
- Chocolate Orange Truffles By: Maytime
- Apple, ginger and pear mincemeat By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Chocolate and beetroot brownies By: HughFW
- Oranges in mulled wine syrup By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Fennel and celeriac soup with orange zest. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Eggy bready pudding with rhubarb compote By: River Cottage Canteen and Deli Axminster
- Cherry and Almond Mince Pies By: notjustapples
- Seville orange marmalade By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Christmas Mincemeat By: Georgee
- Chocolate Courgette Cake By: paulamartin
- Christmas fruit salad By: Julie D
- Dundee cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Hugh's chocolate, fruit and nuts By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Red cabbage, parsnip, orange and date salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Berrygasm Flapjackstic By: somersetchef
- chocolate Christmas cake By: cristal666
- Allergy-free Chocolate Chip Muffins By: Allergycook
- My Very addictive kick ass chilli By: Kristy
- Pear and chocolate cobbler By: River Cottage Light and Easy
- Leftover Turkey Broth By: lillyshak
- Christmas Sausagemeat and Apricot puffs By: Kristy
- Clove and Ginger Wine. By: Al Beaz
- Lemon Curd Marble Muffins By: Every Day
- Chili & Ginger Chocolate Cheesecake By: jonnyH
- Tim Maddam's hazelnuts, chocolate and egg whites By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- A rich Christmas Pudding By: Georgee
- Christmas Cake By: Georgee
- Pickled Walnuts By: Georgee
- Rhubarb and Orange smoothie By: HughFW
- Basil chocolate cake By: kim.lightbody
- Orange Basil Mojito By: ghgirls
- Lemon & Orange Squash By: Every Day
- Christmas Ginger Biscuits By: Three Go Mad
- Allegra McEvedy's chocolate, milk and chilli By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Spiced banana loaf cake with chocolate chunks By: Three Go Mad
- Tim Maddam's chocolate, coffee and cream By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Chocolate Chip Cookies By: Winter's on the way
- Yummy - Scrummy chocolate chip coffee cake By: lillyshak
- Cherry and Chocolate Tart By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Eggy bready pudding with rhubarb compote By: River Cottage summers here
- Sophie's orange, parsnip and halloumi By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Hugh's fennel, orange and watercress By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Yummy 5 - minute chocolate Cake By: lillyshak
- Creamy Yoghurt Pudding By: lillyshak
- Rhubarb and orange yoghurt fool By: Every Day
- Truffle Slice By: Shade
- Raisin and cherry stollen By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Smoked Ham Hock, Haggis & Goose Terrine By: somersetchef
- Hallowe’en pumpkin cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Seville Orange Marmalade By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Piccalilli By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Moist Choc and Orange Squares By: maisie