Hi there, found this recipe in the book but could you clarify whether or not unwaxed fruit is needed. Many thanks.
Candied sticks wrapped in cellophane make a fabulous festive gift. Make these sumptuous sweetmeats in early December and relax knowing you have something impressive to take to all those Christmas parties. This recipe uses orange peel but any citrus fruit will work, as will milk or white chocolate instead of plain. Glucose syrup is optional but does prevent the sticks becoming too hard - you can find glucose syrup at most chemists. Find more great recipes in Pams River Cottage Preserves Handbook avilable here: http://astore.amazon.co.uk/rivecott-21/detail/0747595321Rate this recipe:
- 10 mins
- 30 mins
- 4-5 large oranges
- 500g granulated sugar
- 1tbsp glucose syrup
- 200g good plain chocolate
Scrub the oranges and using a sharp knife, remove the peel and attached pith. Weigh out 250g or peel and cut into slices about 6mm x 5cm. Place the peel in a large pan and cover with 2 litres of cold water.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, drain and return to the pan with 1 litre of cold water. Bring to the boil again and simmer, covered, this time for 45 minutes. Then add the sugar and stir until it’s dissolved, simmer for a further 30 minutes, still covered. Remove from the heat and leave to stand for 24 hours.
Bring the pan to the boil again - if using glucose syrup, add it now - and boil for 30 minutes, until all the liquid has evaporated and the sticks are coated with bubbling syrup. Allow to cool then carefully remove sticks to a wire rack. Leave in a warm place (an airing cupboard is ideal) for 24 hours.
Break the chocolate in to pieces and melt in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Remove from heat and dip half of each orange stick in the melted chocolate, placing on greaseproof paper to set. Before dipping the sticks will last 3-4 months, once dipped in chocolate they are best eaten within 3 weeks.
• Candied orange sticks feature in our new Online Preserves course. We will also be adding Hedgerow and Bread to our current courses, Online Game, Pig & Pork, Catch & Cook and Mushroom Magic next week. Each course is crammed with eight hours of tutorials, step-by-step guides and video recipes, and cost �20 in our online shop however all of them come free with River Cottage Membership, which is �35 a year.
How long will these keep please? I have some, kept dry, in a tin, made before Christmas 2010. No chocolate added. They have a little extra sugar in with them too.
If they will keep, can I do the same with lemons and limes and then use them in my baking? I've always bought candied peel in the past but this is so much better. Thank you Pam for a fab recipe.
Love this recipe - made the candied orange peel sticks for gifts in my christmas hampers this year - really easy to make! And well worth the wait of letting them rest in the airing cupboard. Check them out on my blog www.thepengelly.blogspot.com. Can't wait to make another batch as I gave all of mine away!
- My Very addictive kick ass chilli By: Kristy
- Raisin and cherry stollen By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Piccalilli By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Berrygasm Flapjackstic By: somersetchef
- No added sugar childrens mince pies By: Halff Charity
- Lemon & Orange Squash By: Every Day
- Basil chocolate cake By: kim.lightbody
- Apple, ginger and pear mincemeat By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Fennel and celeriac soup with orange zest. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Yummy - Scrummy chocolate chip coffee cake By: lillyshak
- Christmas Marmalade By: jonnylennon
- Tim Maddam's chocolate, coffee and cream By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Spiced banana loaf cake with chocolate chunks By: Three Go Mad
- Eggy bready pudding with rhubarb compote By: River Cottage summers here
- Christmas Mincemeat By: Georgee
- Blackberry, apple and orange smoothie By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Eggy bready pudding with rhubarb compote By: River Cottage Canteen and Deli Axminster
- Chocolate Torte By: Kristy
- Smoked Ham Hock, Haggis & Goose Terrine By: somersetchef
- Moist Choc and Orange Squares By: maisie
- Lemon Curd Marble Muffins By: Every Day
- Seville Orange Marmalade By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Chocolate Courgette Cake By: paulamartin
- Yummy 5 - minute chocolate Cake By: lillyshak
- Hugh's chocolate, prunes and brandy By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Pickled Walnuts By: Georgee
- The ultimate Plain/Fudge/chocolate shortbread By: Kristy
- Confit of Goose Legs By: HughFW
- Chocolate Orange Truffles By: Maytime
- Brazil and apricot Florentines By: Julie D
- Chili & Ginger Chocolate Cheesecake By: jonnyH
- Rhubarb and orange yoghurt fool By: Every Day
- Christmas Sausagemeat and Apricot puffs By: Kristy
- Christmas Ginger Biscuits By: Three Go Mad
- Dog bone biscuits By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Rhubarb and Orange smoothie By: HughFW
- A rich Christmas Pudding By: Georgee
- Leftover Turkey Broth By: lillyshak
- Creamy Yoghurt Pudding By: lillyshak
- orange & grapefruit marmalade (Microwave) By: lb1
- Chocolate pear cake By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Christmas Cake By: Georgee
- Seville orange marmalade By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Clove and Ginger Wine. By: Al Beaz
- chocolate Christmas cake By: cristal666
- Truffle Slice By: Shade
- Allegra McEvedy's chocolate, milk and chilli By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Orange Basil Mojito By: ghgirls
- Parkin cake with Orange twist By: Bradders
- Sophie's orange, parsnip and halloumi By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Tim Maddam's hazelnuts, chocolate and egg whites By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Pear and chocolate cobbler By: River Cottage Light and Easy
- Cherry and Almond Mince Pies By: notjustapples
- Bramley lemon curd By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- FIVE MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE FOR ONE By: penguinpotty
- Hugh's chocolate, fruit and nuts By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Chocolate Chip Cookies By: Winter's on the way
- Pumpkin Marmalade By: Snow Cloud
- Dundee cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Hallowe’en pumpkin cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Christmas fruit salad By: Julie D
- Horseradish vinegar By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Sarah's Carrot Cake By: SarahT
- Allergy-free Chocolate Chip Muffins By: Allergycook
- Cherry and Chocolate Tart By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Christmas tree biscuits By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Shortbread By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Strawberry, honey and chocolate dippers By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Red cabbage, parsnip, orange and date salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Hugh's fennel, orange and watercress By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Roasted sweet beet relish By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Oranges in mulled wine syrup By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Chocolate and beetroot brownies By: HughFW