Hi there, found this recipe in the book but could you clarify whether or not unwaxed fruit is needed. Many thanks.
Candied sticks wrapped in cellophane make a fabulous festive gift. Make these sumptuous sweetmeats in early December and relax knowing you have something impressive to take to all those Christmas parties. This recipe uses orange peel but any citrus fruit will work, as will milk or white chocolate instead of plain. Glucose syrup is optional but does prevent the sticks becoming too hard - you can find glucose syrup at most chemists. Find more great recipes in Pams River Cottage Preserves Handbook avilable here: http://astore.amazon.co.uk/rivecott-21/detail/0747595321Rate this recipe:
- 10 mins
- 30 mins
- 4-5 large oranges
- 500g granulated sugar
- 1tbsp glucose syrup
- 200g good plain chocolate
Scrub the oranges and using a sharp knife, remove the peel and attached pith. Weigh out 250g or peel and cut into slices about 6mm x 5cm. Place the peel in a large pan and cover with 2 litres of cold water.
Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes, drain and return to the pan with 1 litre of cold water. Bring to the boil again and simmer, covered, this time for 45 minutes. Then add the sugar and stir until it’s dissolved, simmer for a further 30 minutes, still covered. Remove from the heat and leave to stand for 24 hours.
Bring the pan to the boil again - if using glucose syrup, add it now - and boil for 30 minutes, until all the liquid has evaporated and the sticks are coated with bubbling syrup. Allow to cool then carefully remove sticks to a wire rack. Leave in a warm place (an airing cupboard is ideal) for 24 hours.
Break the chocolate in to pieces and melt in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water. Remove from heat and dip half of each orange stick in the melted chocolate, placing on greaseproof paper to set. Before dipping the sticks will last 3-4 months, once dipped in chocolate they are best eaten within 3 weeks.
• Candied orange sticks feature in our new Online Preserves course. We will also be adding Hedgerow and Bread to our current courses, Online Game, Pig & Pork, Catch & Cook and Mushroom Magic next week. Each course is crammed with eight hours of tutorials, step-by-step guides and video recipes, and cost �20 in our online shop however all of them come free with River Cottage Membership, which is �35 a year.
How long will these keep please? I have some, kept dry, in a tin, made before Christmas 2010. No chocolate added. They have a little extra sugar in with them too.
If they will keep, can I do the same with lemons and limes and then use them in my baking? I've always bought candied peel in the past but this is so much better. Thank you Pam for a fab recipe.
Love this recipe - made the candied orange peel sticks for gifts in my christmas hampers this year - really easy to make! And well worth the wait of letting them rest in the airing cupboard. Check them out on my blog www.thepengelly.blogspot.com. Can't wait to make another batch as I gave all of mine away!
- Pumpkin Marmalade By: Snow Cloud
- No added sugar childrens mince pies By: Halff Charity
- Rhubarb and Orange smoothie By: HughFW
- Moist Choc and Orange Squares By: maisie
- Smoked Ham Hock, Haggis & Goose Terrine By: somersetchef
- Red cabbage, parsnip, orange and date salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Cherry and Chocolate Tart By: River Cottage to the Core
- Leftover Turkey Broth By: lillyshak
- Strawberry, honey and chocolate dippers By: River Cottage to the Core
- Berrygasm Flapjackstic By: somersetchef
- Christmas Cake By: Georgee
- Parkin cake with Orange twist By: Bradders
- Spiced banana loaf cake with chocolate chunks By: Three Go Mad
- Allergy-free Chocolate Chip Muffins By: Allergycook
- Allegra McEvedy's chocolate, milk and chilli By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Oranges in mulled wine syrup By: River Cottage to the Core
- Christmas Ginger Biscuits By: Three Go Mad
- Seville Orange Marmalade By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Sarah's Carrot Cake By: SarahT
- Christmas Marmalade By: jonnylennon
- Chocolate Courgette Cake By: paulamartin
- Hugh's chocolate, fruit and nuts By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- A rich Christmas Pudding By: Georgee
- Yummy - Scrummy chocolate chip coffee cake By: lillyshak
- orange & grapefruit marmalade (Microwave) By: lb1
- Dog bone biscuits By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Christmas fruit salad By: Julie D
- Sophie's orange, parsnip and halloumi By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Chocolate Chip Cookies By: Winter's on the way
- Confit of Goose Legs By: HughFW
- Creamy Yoghurt Pudding By: lillyshak
- Chocolate and beetroot brownies By: HughFW
- Chocolate pear cake By: River Cottage to the Core
- Christmas tree biscuits By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- FIVE MINUTE CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE FOR ONE By: penguinpotty
- Pickled Walnuts By: Georgee
- Tim Maddam's chocolate, coffee and cream By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Cherry and Almond Mince Pies By: notjustapples
- Chocolate Orange Truffles By: Maytime
- Hugh's fennel, orange and watercress By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Eggy bready pudding with rhubarb compote By: River Cottage Canteen and Deli Axminster
- Chili & Ginger Chocolate Cheesecake By: jonnyH
- Shortbread By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Basil chocolate cake By: kim.lightbody
- Lemon & Orange Squash By: Every Day
- My Very addictive kick ass chilli By: Kristy
- chocolate Christmas cake By: cristal666
- Yummy 5 - minute chocolate Cake By: lillyshak
- The ultimate Plain/Fudge/chocolate shortbread By: Kristy
- Christmas Mincemeat By: Georgee
- Bramley lemon curd By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Rhubarb and orange yoghurt fool By: Every Day
- Hallowe’en pumpkin cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Eggy bready pudding with rhubarb compote By: River Cottage summers here
- Lemon Curd Marble Muffins By: Every Day
- Tim Maddam's hazelnuts, chocolate and egg whites By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Blackberry, apple and orange smoothie By: River Cottage to the Core
- Hugh's chocolate, prunes and brandy By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Christmas Sausagemeat and Apricot puffs By: Kristy
- Brazil and apricot Florentines By: Julie D
- Truffle Slice By: Shade
- Orange Basil Mojito By: ghgirls
- Clove and Ginger Wine. By: Al Beaz
- Seville orange marmalade By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Fennel and celeriac soup with orange zest. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Chocolate Torte By: Kristy