Come from a long line of Irish soda bread makers and can say this is a great recipe. I make with sour milk ('gone off' milk)...can keep milk soured in fridge & top up as required for weeks on end. Make mine in a skillet and add sugar to taste.
I frequently turn to soda bread when the bread bin is bare. If there’s nothing for lunch or to serve with soup for supper, it's a quick and simple answer - and sustaining, too. This classic recipe lends itself to endless tweaking and variation. Slot it into your repertoire and you'll never regret it.Rate this recipe:
- 15 minutes
- 40-45 minutes
- Makes 1 medium loaf
- * 500g plain flour
- * 2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- * 1 tsp fine sea salt
- * Approx. 400ml buttermilk or live yoghurt
- * A little milk, if necessary
1. Sift the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a large mixing bowl and stir in the salt. Make a well in the centre and pour in the buttermilk, stirring as you go. If necessary, add a tablespoon or two of milk to bring the mixture together; it should form a soft dough, just this side of sticky.
2. Tip it out on to a lightly floured work surface and knead lightly for about a minute, just long enough to pull it together into a loose ball but no longer – you need to get it into the oven while the bicarb is still doing its stuff. You're not looking for the kind of smooth, elastic dough you’d get with a yeast-based bread.
3. Put the round of dough on a lightly floured baking sheet and dust generously with flour. Mark a deep cross in it with a sharp, serrated knife, cutting about two-thirds of the way through the loaf. Put it in an oven preheated to 200oC/gas mark 6 and bake for 40-45 minutes, until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped underneath.
4. Cool on a wire rack if you like a crunchy crust, or wrap in a clean tea towel if you prefer a soft crust. Soda bread is best eaten while still warm, spread with salty butter and/or a dollop of your favourite jam. But if you have some left over the next day, it makes great toast.
For six-seed soda bread, mix together 2 tablespoons each of sunflower, pumpkin, sesame, poppy and linseeds, plus 1 teaspoon of fennel seeds; set aside. Follow the main recipe but use half white flour and half wholemeal flour. Add all but 1 tablespoon of the seeds to the dry ingredients before proceeding as above. After cutting a cross in the top of the loaf, brush it with a little buttermilk or ordinary milk and sprinkle with the remaining seeds. Bake at 200oC/gas mark 6 for 40–45 minutes.
You've seen us on TV, now why not pay us a visit? River Cottage HQ offers unique cookery courses, dining experiences and bespoke events.
Very quick and easy. Used half buttermilk and half Greek yogurt as that was what I had in. Also used half plain and half whole meal flour with seeds. Loaf went down really well in my house! :)
Amazing!!! I'll bake it at 190 next time. The texture and flavour is brilliant. I'll be making it again for sure. Thanks
First time baking bread from scratch. It's in the oven now. 200 white300wholemeal
Low fat liveYoghurt. A teaspoon of honey and oats on top. Bit random.
I couldn't be bothered driving to the shop so I thought I'd just try make it myself.
Have made this bread a few times.. with greek yogurt and half wholemeal flour - delicious...
And once with chocolate chips!
I made this one a few months ago and have been making it every week at least since. Very easy and simple. We also make one with sultanas and mixed spice. YUM....
Five stars. Made this today, well actually my nine year old son made this today, pretty much all alone, we used low fat yoghurt. I made the pea and ham soup. Absolutely lovely. Super easy. No rising time. The kids loved it with the half and half. Next time lots of seeds are goingin and i want to try spelt and maybe 100% wholemeal. Thanks HFW. Love what you do btw, the fish campaign is great.
Just made this and its the best bread ever....much better than those ready mixed breads sold in the super markets that you just add water and then cook.
I'm hooked now on soda bread
- Spicy Marrow Cake By: notjustapples
- Sardine Bake By: Every Day
- Somerset style Chicken Wings (N) By Jean-Paul De Ronne By: somersetchef
- Molasses Apple Tart with Rye Crust By: notjustapples
- Panzanella By: Every Day
- Maine Grilled Lobster Rolls By: Jonesy of Westbrook
- My Grannies Yorkshire spice loaf By: Julie D
- Fig and Walnut Bread By: River Cottage HQ
- No knead Wholemeal Sourdough Bread By: thejollybrewer
- James’ blue cheese, pumpkin and celeriac pasty. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Courgette Bread By: jennibear
- Fennel Seed Bread By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Oatmeal Ginger Parkin By: notjustapples
- Cheese straws By: River Cottage HQ
- Beetroot and onion pizza By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Basic bread recipe By: River Cottage HQ
- Dog bone biscuits By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Courgette and Cheese Loaf By: Pebble Soup
- Feijoa Loaf By: NZ DIVA
- Fluffy Eggs By: naomi devlin
- Focaccia By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Roast Potato Gnocchi By: River Cottage summers here
- Sundried Tomato and Basil Bread By: ashepherd
- Panzanella By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Pumpkin and Walnut Bread By: Maytime
- Soda bread with rosemary and sultanas By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Pudina - Maltese bread pudding By: Eatmania
- Simple Sardines on Toast By: somersetchef
- Sweet Bread Pudding By: lillyshak
- Chilli Pumpkin Cornbread By: Winter's on the way
- Xmas fruity walnut beer bread By: Three Go Mad
- Courgette & Pesto Bake By: kas
- Eggy bread with macerated strawberries By: River Cottage summers here
- Vanilla Honey Cut-Out Cookies By: notjustapples
- Angel cakes By: misscookingheart
- Bread and butter pudding By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Zucchini Pie By: hayley1
- Wheaten Bread By: tytoalbakate
- The Bacon Sanga By: whiskers
- Butternut Squash & Cranberry rolls By: Neil Drummond
- Perfect Pancakes (with video - click on picture to watch) By: Every Day
- Ham Hock Soup with Parsnip and Thyme Bread By: Winter's on the way
- Cinnamon Bun-cake By: River Cottage HQ
- Buckwheat Cheaty Sourdough By: River Cottage HQ
- Banana bread By: noncsi0730
- Student Pork Poppers By: A16AdamWalker
- Amish soft crust By: cristal666
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Eggy Bready Apple Pudding By: Every Day
- Apple, Guinness & Cheese Soda Bread By: Every Day
- French Onion Soup By: Vegetarian Recipe Club
- Bolognese Moussaka By: Every Day
- Flatbread By: Daniel Stevens
- Toffee apple cake By: River Cottage Cakes Handbook
- Bread - no knead loaf By: The Curious Gardener
- The average cake By: noncsi0730
- Saffron and Mussel Sauce By: somersetchef
- Home-made bread with speck, fontina cheese & pistachios By: Eatmania
- Onion and anchovy pissaladiere By: Three Go Mad
- Herbed Dumplings By: Every Day
- Simple White Loaf By: Every Day
- Eggylisish Courgettes By: shivmcshane2
- Laura Coxeter’s Raw Chocolate Ganache Tart. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Dab In A Bap By: Every Day
- Wholemeal carrot and honey cake recipe By: River Cottage summers here
- Tomato bruschetta with blue cheese and confit chilli By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- The sugar sandwich with a twist By: lillyshak