An amazing vegan quiche recipe made using Tofutti cream cheese. For a cheaper or lower-fat alternative, simply replace the Tofutti with another 1/2 pack of silken tofu. For speed you can also use ready-made shortcrust pastry. Jus Rol, for example, is vegan.Rate this recipe:
- 15 mins
- 30-40 mins
- 30g/1oz vegan margarine
- 2-3 cooked potatoes, mashed (about 250g/9oz)
- 100g/3½ oz fine wholemeal flour, sieved OR for a gluten-free alternative: split the 100g flour into about 70g buckwheat flour and 30g gram flour*
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Oil spray
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 400g/14 oz tofu
- 225g/8 oz Tofutti Creamy Smooth, Garlic & Herbs
- 125ml /4 fl oz soya milk
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 head of broccoli, broken into florets
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 6 medium tomatoes, sliced
- ½ block vegan ‘cheese’ like Cheezly or Sheese, grated
1. Pastry: mash the margarine together with the potatoes until smooth – this is easier if the potatoes are warm, so you might want to quickly heat up leftover spuds in a microwave or steamer. (Do not use an electric blender/food processor to mash them or the potato will turn gluey!)
2. Mix the dry ingredients together and combine them with the potato mash
3. Spray the quiche dish with a couple of squirts of oil spray. Spread it round with clean hands or a pastry brush.
4. Press the crust on the bottom and edges of a large pie dish (diameter about 25-28 cm/10-11 inch). Spread around evenly with your thumb and fingers.
5. Refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
6. Preheat oven to 190�C/375�F/Gas Mark 5.
7. Make the pastry as above if not already done.
8. Filling: saute the onion 2 tsp oil until softened – about 3-5 minutes.
9. Meanwhile, boil the broccoli florets for around 5 minutes and drain.
10. Blend the Tofutti, tofu, soya milk, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper until fairly smooth.
11. Arrange the onion, broccoli and tomato slices around the pastry case, evenly.
12. Pour the filling mixture on top, distributing it evenly with a spatula. Sprinkle the vegan cheese on the top. Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes or until firm in the middle. Check after 35 minutes, as the time will vary depending on your oven.
There are no comments available