I baked this several times and can say this recipe works brilliantly. Kneading by hand I was worried that the dough is very wet and sticky to begin with, but with persistent kneading it comes together beautifully after 5-10min. Therefore resist the temptation of adding more flour. While the above recipe is tasty as it is, I like to add cherry tomatoes into some of the holes before sprinkling with rosemary, salt and olive oil.
Focaccia is excellent sharing bread for serving with supper, and is really easy to make. You can certainly miss out the rosemary, and you don’t have to sprinkle the top with salt, though it is authentic. You could expand this recipe and experiment as I have often done, mixing various herbs and other flavourings into the actual dough, though I think you’d have to ask an Italian if you can still call it focaccia. You could use a food mixer to knead this soft dough.Rate this recipe:
- 20 min plus proving
- 20 min
- 1 Focaccia
- 500g strong white bread flour
- 5g powdered dried yeast
- 10g fine salt
- 325ml warm water
- About 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for coating
- To finish
- A generous drizzle of olive oil
- A sprinkle of flaky sea salt
- A couple of rosemary sprigs, leaves stripped and finely chopped
To knead by hand: mix the flour, yeast, salt and water in a bowl to form a sticky dough. Add the oil, mix it in, then turn the dough out on to a clean work surface. Knead until smooth and silky, about 10 minutes.
Or, to use a food mixer: fit the dough hook and add the flour, yeast, salt and water to the mixer bowl. Mix on low speed until evenly combined, then add the oil and leave to knead for about 10 minutes, until smooth and silky.
Shape the dough into a round (see p.48) and coat with a little extra oil. Leave to rise in a clean bowl, covered with a plastic bag. When it has doubled in size, tip it on to the work surface and press into a rough rectangle. Place in a lightly oiled shallow baking tray, measuring about 26 x 36cm. Press the dough in with your fingers, right into the corners. Now leave to rise, covered, for about half an hour.
Preheat your oven to 250°C/Gas Mark 10, or as high as it will go. When the bread looks puffed up and airy, use your fingertips to poke deep holes across the whole surface, almost to the bottom. Drizzle the top generously (but not swimmingly) with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and rosemary. Bake for about 10 minutes, then turn the oven down to about 200°C/Gas Mark 6 and bake for a further 10 minutes.
Focaccia is best eaten warm, but not hot; leave to cool on a wire rack for about 10 minutes before serving, or leave to cool completely.
- Pudina - Maltese bread pudding By: Eatmania
- Angel cakes By: misscookingheart
- Onion and anchovy pissaladiere By: Three Go Mad
- Student Pork Poppers By: A16AdamWalker
- Eggy bread with macerated strawberries By: River Cottage summers here
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Maine Grilled Lobster Rolls By: Jonesy of Westbrook
- Saffron and Mussel Sauce By: somersetchef
- Gill Meller's pear, walnut and blue cheese (focaccia) By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- The average cake By: noncsi0730
- Pumpkin and Walnut Bread By: Maytime
- Chilli Pumpkin Cornbread By: Winters on the way
- Amish soft crust By: cristal666
- Sweet Bread Pudding By: lillyshak
- Flatbread By: Daniel Stevens
- Laura Coxeter’s Raw Chocolate Ganache Tart. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Home-made bread with speck, fontina cheese & pistachios By: Eatmania
- The sugar sandwich with a twist By: lillyshak
- Roast Potato Gnocchi By: River Cottage summers here
- Sundried Tomato and Basil Bread By: ashepherd
- Ham Hock Soup with Parsnip and Thyme Bread By: Winters on the way
- Somerset style Chicken Wings (N) By Jean-Paul De Ronne By: somersetchef
- Fluffy Eggs By: naomi devlin
- Simple White Loaf By: Every Day
- French Onion Soup By: Vegetarian Recipe Club
- Panzanella By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- No knead Wholemeal Sourdough Bread By: thejollybrewer
- Eggy Bready Apple Pudding By: Every Day
- Classic Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Banana bread By: noncsi0730
- Wholemeal carrot and honey cake recipe By: River Cottage summers here
- Simple Sardines on Toast By: somersetchef
- Zucchini Pie By: hayley1
- Beetroot and onion pizza By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Courgette and Cheese Loaf By: Pebble Soup
- Eggylisish Courgettes By: shivmcshane2
- Herbed Dumplings By: Every Day
- Apple, Guinness & Cheese Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Bread and butter pudding By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Butternut Squash & Cranberry rolls By: Neil Drummond
- Panzanella By: Every Day
- Courgette Bread By: jennibear
- Wheaten Bread By: tytoalbakate
- Bread - no knead loaf By: The Curious Gardener
- Perfect Pancakes (with video - click on picture to watch) By: Every Day
- Dab In A Bap By: Every Day
- The Bacon Sanga By: whiskers