Specials : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
Kippers are an honourable part of the proud fish-smoking tradition we have in this country. If you choose properly smoked ones without dyes or artificial flavourings, I think you’ll find this a wonderfully satisfying dish.Rate this recipe:
- 25-30 minutes
- * 1kg new potatoes, such as Jersey Royals, scrubbed
- * 4 double kipper fillets
- * Knob of butter
- * 1-2 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- * 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley and/or chives
- * Lemon juice
- * Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Boil the new potatoes in a pan of lightly salted water until tender. Meanwhile, skin the kipper fillets, removing any pin bones, and cut or tear the flesh into large bite-sized pieces. Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan and fry the kipper pieces gently for a couple of minutes, until cooked through. Take off the heat and stir in the herb(s).
2. When the potatoes are cooked, drain well and return them to the pan. Using a potato masher or wooden spoon, crush them lightly to form a rough, very chunky mash.
3. Combine the fish and any juices in the pan with the rough mash. Season well with black pepper and lemon juice and serve, just warm, with a crisp lettuce salad to follow or on the side.
How to make kipper fishcakes:
Take a handful of the kipper mixture and make into fishcake shapes. Flour them and shallow fry in a little oil for a couple of minutes, turning once.
I've made this with the canned kippers you can get here, and it is wonderfully good! Even my teenage boys loved it, lol!
Made this for dinner today (half the recipe as there are only 2 of us) and it's all gone!
Will have to make some more to find out what it is like made into fishcakes :-)
I made this one Night last week, Was yummy but I preferred it the next day made into fish cakes :)
I was to eat more fish but find it so exspensive but kippers arn't and I buy them often.
We had this yesterday evening for dinner. Had it with some steamed broccoli from our allotment. Very simple to make and delicious to boot. Will be keeping a supply of kippers in the fridge from now on just in case we fancy this tasty treat.
- Fish in Beer Batter By: River Cottage Fish
- side dish By: serena
- Smoked Mackerel with Spring Onions & Horseradish Mayonnaise By: somersetchef
- Wild garlic and local cheddar aligot with steamed chard and poached eggs By: River Cottage Canteen Bath
- Potted Smoked Mackerel By: clairey
- Mackerel, new potatoes, shallots By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Hot New Potato Salad With Bacon & Onion By: Every Day
- Bacalhau à Gomes de Sá (a La Murray) By: LizardM
- Smoked pollack and spinach tart By: River Cottage Fish
- Minestrone Soup By: Dzign
- Lisa's chicken, potatoes and baby leeks By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Smoked sloe gin By: River Cottage Booze Handbook
- Flash Fried Lemon Fish By: lillyshak
- Fish Pie, cook from frozen. By: Orangesadler
- Kid chops with tomatoes and olives By: River Cottage HQ
- Zander in green bed By: ThorstenW
- Marinated salt bream with roast tomatoes By: River Cottage Fish
- Potato salad with broad beans and herbs By: River Cottage summers here
- Hugh's ham, potatoes and parsley By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Breaded Fish Fillets with Tomato Salsa By: Every Day
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- cheesy creamy garlic potatoes By: BlackBeauty
- Hugh's lamb, potatoes and mushrooms By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Gill's Hot Smoked Duck Breast By: gillM
- Sardine Bake By: Every Day
- LOIN OF PORK on a bed of BUBBLE & SQUEAK with APPLE & PLUM SAUCES By: astridges
- Mackerel barbecued over bay By: River Cottage Fish
- Three-root mash By: Every Day
- Potato Salad By: martyn
- Hugh's sole, lemon and potato By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Devilled crab cakes with herby mayonnaise By: Hugh's Fish Fight
- Gill's apple, pork and potatoes By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Roast Fish Fillets With Roast Potatoes Recipe By: Every Day
- Pan fried mackerel with fennel, potatoes, garlic and bay. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Ceviche By: River Cottage Fish
- All day Sunday Chicken By: nikki75
- Three-root boulangère By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Hugh's fish, lime and mint By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Hugh's inky cuttlefish stew By: Three Go Mad
- Dutch farmers- hotchpotch By: breyten
- Hot new potato and sorrel salad By: HughFW
- Finnish Blood Pancakes By: A16AdamWalker
- Pot-roasted gurnard By: River Cottage Fish
- Bashed new potatoes By: Three Go Mad
- Thai Fish Curry By: Every Day
- The sugar sandwich with a twist By: lillyshak
- Mark and Steve’s Apple Mojito. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Fish (and chorizo) soup By: River Cottage Fish
- County Cork/Swiss Irish Stew By: Globi
- Usey-Up Fishcakes By: FairiesforChange
- baked butternut squash mash By: lb1
- Quorn Dosi By: selfheal
- Potato and fennel bake By: Three Go Mad
- Mackerel stuffed with salsa verde By: River Cottage Fish
- Thyme, Oregano & Lemon Zest Rubbed Chicken By: BecauseAGirlsGottaEat
- Hugh's potatoes, mushrooms and curry By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Gurnard Parcels In Asian Spices By: Every Day
- Oven Baked Salmon & New Potatoes By: ianpocock
- Potato Paprikash/Paprikáskrumpli By: Delinke
- Dab In A Bap By: Every Day
- Smoked pollack with poached egg By: River Cottage Fish
- Mackerel with Gooseberry and Mint Salsa By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- My Escabeche By: River Cottage Sea Fishing Handbook
- Courgette & Ginger Soup By: hayleyphelan
- Roasted Aubergine and Potatoes By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Lamb, potatoes, mushrooms By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Aromatic Leek and potato soup By: Kristy
- Smoked Widgeon & Chard Soup By: caregrow
- Broad bean top and Bacon salad. By: DanH
- Mackerel with Rosemary Potatoes By: mildive
- Scallops With Mushy Squash By: Winter's on the way