Specials : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
Kippers are an honourable part of the proud fish-smoking tradition we have in this country. If you choose properly smoked ones without dyes or artificial flavourings, I think you’ll find this a wonderfully satisfying dish.Rate this recipe:
- 25-30 minutes
- * 1kg new potatoes, such as Jersey Royals, scrubbed
- * 4 double kipper fillets
- * Knob of butter
- * 1-2 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- * 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley and/or chives
- * Lemon juice
- * Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Boil the new potatoes in a pan of lightly salted water until tender. Meanwhile, skin the kipper fillets, removing any pin bones, and cut or tear the flesh into large bite-sized pieces. Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan and fry the kipper pieces gently for a couple of minutes, until cooked through. Take off the heat and stir in the herb(s).
2. When the potatoes are cooked, drain well and return them to the pan. Using a potato masher or wooden spoon, crush them lightly to form a rough, very chunky mash.
3. Combine the fish and any juices in the pan with the rough mash. Season well with black pepper and lemon juice and serve, just warm, with a crisp lettuce salad to follow or on the side.
How to make kipper fishcakes:
Take a handful of the kipper mixture and make into fishcake shapes. Flour them and shallow fry in a little oil for a couple of minutes, turning once.
I've made this with the canned kippers you can get here, and it is wonderfully good! Even my teenage boys loved it, lol!
Made this for dinner today (half the recipe as there are only 2 of us) and it's all gone!
Will have to make some more to find out what it is like made into fishcakes :-)
I made this one Night last week, Was yummy but I preferred it the next day made into fish cakes :)
I was to eat more fish but find it so exspensive but kippers arn't and I buy them often.
We had this yesterday evening for dinner. Had it with some steamed broccoli from our allotment. Very simple to make and delicious to boot. Will be keeping a supply of kippers in the fridge from now on just in case we fancy this tasty treat.
- Breaded Fish Fillets with Tomato Salsa By: Every Day
- Aromatic Leek and potato soup By: Kristy
- Gill's Hot Smoked Duck Breast By: gillM
- Usey-Up Fishcakes By: FairiesforChange
- Dab In A Bap By: Every Day
- Smoked sloe gin By: River Cottage Booze Handbook
- Smoked pollack and spinach tart By: River Cottage Fish
- Thyme, Oregano & Lemon Zest Rubbed Chicken By: BecauseAGirlsGottaEat
- cheesy creamy garlic potatoes By: BlackBeauty
- Thai Fish Curry By: Every Day
- Smoked pollack with poached egg By: River Cottage Fish
- Potato Salad By: martyn
- Three-root mash By: Every Day
- Dutch farmers- hotchpotch By: breyten
- Fish in Beer Batter By: River Cottage Fish
- Potato and fennel bake By: Three Go Mad
- Zander in green bed By: ThorstenW
- Finnish Blood Pancakes By: A16AdamWalker
- Hugh's fish, lime and mint By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Scallops With Mushy Squash By: Winter's on the way
- Hugh's lamb, potatoes and mushrooms By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Three-root boulangère By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Mackerel with Gooseberry and Mint Salsa By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Hugh's inky cuttlefish stew By: Three Go Mad
- Hot New Potato Salad With Bacon & Onion By: Every Day
- Mackerel, new potatoes, shallots By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Gill's apple, pork and potatoes By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Sardine Bake By: Every Day
- Devilled crab cakes with herby mayonnaise By: Hugh's Fish Fight
- Hugh's sole, lemon and potato By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Lamb, potatoes, mushrooms By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Broad bean top and Bacon salad. By: DanH
- Flash Fried Lemon Fish By: lillyshak
- The sugar sandwich with a twist By: lillyshak
- Kid chops with tomatoes and olives By: River Cottage HQ
- Oven Baked Salmon & New Potatoes By: ianpocock
- Smoked Mackerel with Spring Onions & Horseradish Mayonnaise By: somersetchef
- Fish Pie, cook from frozen. By: Orangesadler
- Hugh's potatoes, mushrooms and curry By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- All day Sunday Chicken By: nikki75
- Lisa's chicken, potatoes and baby leeks By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Bacalhau à Gomes de Sá (a La Murray) By: LizardM
- Gurnard Parcels In Asian Spices By: Every Day
- baked butternut squash mash By: lb1
- Minestrone Soup By: Dzign
- Mackerel stuffed with salsa verde By: River Cottage Fish
- Pot-roasted gurnard By: River Cottage Fish
- Marinated salt bream with roast tomatoes By: River Cottage Fish
- Roast Fish Fillets With Roast Potatoes Recipe By: Every Day
- Wild garlic and local cheddar aligot with steamed chard and poached eggs By: River Cottage Canteen Bath
- side dish By: serena
- Potted Smoked Mackerel By: clairey
- LOIN OF PORK on a bed of BUBBLE & SQUEAK with APPLE & PLUM SAUCES By: astridges
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Ceviche By: River Cottage Fish
- Pan fried mackerel with fennel, potatoes, garlic and bay. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- Roasted Aubergine and Potatoes By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Mark and Steve’s Apple Mojito. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Mackerel with Rosemary Potatoes By: mildive
- County Cork/Swiss Irish Stew By: Globi
- Hugh's ham, potatoes and parsley By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- My Escabeche By: River Cottage Sea Fishing Handbook
- Potato Paprikash/Paprikáskrumpli By: Delinke
- Mackerel barbecued over bay By: River Cottage Fish
- Smoked Widgeon & Chard Soup By: caregrow
- Hot new potato and sorrel salad By: HughFW
- Courgette & Ginger Soup By: hayleyphelan
- Potato salad with broad beans and herbs By: River Cottage summers here
- Bashed new potatoes By: Three Go Mad
- Fish (and chorizo) soup By: River Cottage Fish
- Quorn Dosi By: selfheal