Specials : Zen Cart!, The Art of E-commerce
Kippers are an honourable part of the proud fish-smoking tradition we have in this country. If you choose properly smoked ones without dyes or artificial flavourings, I think you’ll find this a wonderfully satisfying dish.Rate this recipe:
- 25-30 minutes
- * 1kg new potatoes, such as Jersey Royals, scrubbed
- * 4 double kipper fillets
- * Knob of butter
- * 1-2 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- * 2 tbsp finely chopped parsley and/or chives
- * Lemon juice
- * Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Boil the new potatoes in a pan of lightly salted water until tender. Meanwhile, skin the kipper fillets, removing any pin bones, and cut or tear the flesh into large bite-sized pieces. Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan and fry the kipper pieces gently for a couple of minutes, until cooked through. Take off the heat and stir in the herb(s).
2. When the potatoes are cooked, drain well and return them to the pan. Using a potato masher or wooden spoon, crush them lightly to form a rough, very chunky mash.
3. Combine the fish and any juices in the pan with the rough mash. Season well with black pepper and lemon juice and serve, just warm, with a crisp lettuce salad to follow or on the side.
How to make kipper fishcakes:
Take a handful of the kipper mixture and make into fishcake shapes. Flour them and shallow fry in a little oil for a couple of minutes, turning once.
I've made this with the canned kippers you can get here, and it is wonderfully good! Even my teenage boys loved it, lol!
Made this for dinner today (half the recipe as there are only 2 of us) and it's all gone!
Will have to make some more to find out what it is like made into fishcakes :-)
I made this one Night last week, Was yummy but I preferred it the next day made into fish cakes :)
I was to eat more fish but find it so exspensive but kippers arn't and I buy them often.
We had this yesterday evening for dinner. Had it with some steamed broccoli from our allotment. Very simple to make and delicious to boot. Will be keeping a supply of kippers in the fridge from now on just in case we fancy this tasty treat.
- Scallops With Mushy Squash By: Winter's on the way
- Bacalhau à Gomes de Sá (a La Murray) By: LizardM
- Mackerel barbecued over bay By: River Cottage Fish
- baked butternut squash mash By: lb1
- cheesy creamy garlic potatoes By: BlackBeauty
- LOIN OF PORK on a bed of BUBBLE & SQUEAK with APPLE & PLUM SAUCES By: astridges
- Zander in green bed By: ThorstenW
- Three-root boulangère By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Mackerel with Rosemary Potatoes By: mildive
- Pan fried mackerel with fennel, potatoes, garlic and bay. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Potted Smoked Mackerel By: clairey
- Dutch farmers- hotchpotch By: breyten
- Potato Salad By: martyn
- Mackerel with Gooseberry and Mint Salsa By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Flash Fried Lemon Fish By: lillyshak
- side dish By: serena
- Pot-roasted gurnard By: River Cottage Fish
- Sardine Bake By: Every Day
- Smoked sloe gin By: River Cottage Booze Handbook
- Devilled crab cakes with herby mayonnaise By: Hugh's Fish Fight
- Thyme, Oregano & Lemon Zest Rubbed Chicken By: BecauseAGirlsGottaEat
- Wild garlic and local cheddar aligot with steamed chard and poached eggs By: River Cottage Canteen Bath
- Minestrone Soup By: Dzign
- Roasted Aubergine and Potatoes By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Fish Pie, cook from frozen. By: Orangesadler
- Gurnard Parcels In Asian Spices By: Every Day
- Ceviche By: River Cottage Fish
- Smoked Mackerel with Spring Onions & Horseradish Mayonnaise By: somersetchef
- Hugh's fish, lime and mint By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Finnish Blood Pancakes By: A16AdamWalker
- Quorn Dosi By: selfheal
- Oven Baked Salmon & New Potatoes By: ianpocock
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Potato salad with broad beans and herbs By: River Cottage summers here
- Mackerel, new potatoes, shallots By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Hot New Potato Salad With Bacon & Onion By: Every Day
- Aromatic Leek and potato soup By: Kristy
- Lisa's chicken, potatoes and baby leeks By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Dab In A Bap By: Every Day
- My Escabeche By: River Cottage Sea Fishing Handbook
- Hugh's potatoes, mushrooms and curry By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- County Cork/Swiss Irish Stew By: Globi
- Kid chops with tomatoes and olives By: River Cottage HQ
- Thai Fish Curry By: Every Day
- Mark and Steve’s Apple Mojito. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Fish (and chorizo) soup By: River Cottage Fish
- Bashed new potatoes By: Three Go Mad
- Hugh's sole, lemon and potato By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Smoked pollack with poached egg By: River Cottage Fish
- Smoked Widgeon & Chard Soup By: caregrow
- Lamb, potatoes, mushrooms By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Gill's Hot Smoked Duck Breast By: gillM
- Roast Fish Fillets With Roast Potatoes Recipe By: Every Day
- Hugh's ham, potatoes and parsley By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Hot new potato and sorrel salad By: HughFW
- Mackerel stuffed with salsa verde By: River Cottage Fish
- Usey-Up Fishcakes By: FairiesforChange
- Potato and fennel bake By: Three Go Mad
- Breaded Fish Fillets with Tomato Salsa By: Every Day
- Hugh's lamb, potatoes and mushrooms By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Hugh's inky cuttlefish stew By: Three Go Mad
- Potato Paprikash/Paprikáskrumpli By: Delinke
- Three-root mash By: Every Day
- Marinated salt bream with roast tomatoes By: River Cottage Fish
- The sugar sandwich with a twist By: lillyshak
- Broad bean top and Bacon salad. By: DanH
- All day Sunday Chicken By: nikki75
- Gill's apple, pork and potatoes By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Courgette & Ginger Soup By: hayleyphelan
- Fish in Beer Batter By: River Cottage Fish
- Smoked pollack and spinach tart By: River Cottage Fish