Our all-time favourite fish for barbecuing is mackerel. This is partly because its firm, slightly oily flesh responds beautifully to the searing, charring heat. But it’s also because barbecued mackerel has a certain emotional significance. It’s a fish that’s plentiful and easy to catch, and we’ve lost count of the times we’ve cooked up a good haul of it in the open air, surrounded by family and friends. Tucking bay leaves into the cavity of the fish can impart a subtle flavour but, being big fans of bay, we sometimes really go to town and grill the fish on top of whole branches of it. A word of warning: make sure you take them from a strong, established tree. We once had a young bay shrub that fell foul to an enthusiastic pruning prior to a mackerel barbecue ... it never quite recovered.Rate this recipe:
- 2 mins
- 5 mins
- depends on number of mackeral
- Olive oil
- Half a dozen branchlets of bay leaves
- (i.e. a few dozen leaves on the stalk)
- A lemon
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Gut your mackerel and rinse with cold water. Pat dry with a clean cloth or kitchen paper, then massage each fish with a few drops of olive oil.
Season the mackerel well, inside and out, with salt and pepper.
Make sure your barbecue is hot and ready to cook over. Put the grill over the coals and give it a good few minutes to heat up, then lay a thin bed of bay leaves on the hot grill and lay your mackerel on top of that. Drizzle a little olive oil over the fish and add a squeeze or two of lemon juice. The bay will crackle and pop over the heat of the fire and release lots of perfumed smoke. It’squite normal to see a few shooting flames at this point, too. Don’t be alarmed; this is all good and sends the flavour of the bay deep into the fish. Turn the fish after 5 minutes and cook for a few minutes longer, until the flesh is opaque all the way through.
Serve straight away, with salsa verde if you like, plus a green salad, and some new potatoes lightly bashed and tossed with oil or butter. Or, for
a more simple approach, serve with a lemony mayonnaise and some good bread.
There are no comments available
- Smoked mackerel tartare By: River Cottage Light and Easy
- Beetroot, smoked mackerel and horseradish salad By: Three Go Mad
- Barbecued Little Gems and spring onions with goat’s cheese By: Every Day
- Smoked pollack and spinach tart By: River Cottage Fish
- Breaded Fish Fillets with Tomato Salsa By: Every Day
- BARBECUED GLAZED SPARE RIBS By: River Cottage Meat
- Smoked pollack with poached egg By: River Cottage Fish
- Philip’s wood-fired mackerel By: Three Go Mad
- Hugh's mackerel, lemon and bay By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Mackerel with Gooseberry and Mint Salsa By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Marinated salt bream with roast tomatoes By: River Cottage Fish
- Hugh's fish, lime and mint By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Beef Burgers By: River Cottage Meat
- Sushi By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Fish in Beer Batter By: River Cottage Fish
- Fish Pie, cook from frozen. By: Orangesadler
- Pot-roasted gurnard By: River Cottage Fish
- Thai Fish Curry By: Every Day
- Crispy mackerel fingers (with mango salsa) By: jonnyH
- Quick-fried mackerel fillets with garlic and bay By: River Cottage Fish
- Mackerel with Rosemary Potatoes By: mildive
- Smoked Mackerel with Spring Onions & Horseradish Mayonnaise By: somersetchef
- Mackerel, new potatoes, shallots By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Turkish mackerel By: River Cottage summers here
- Flash Fried Lemon Fish By: lillyshak
- Pine-smoked mussels By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Devilled crab cakes with herby mayonnaise By: Hugh's Fish Fight
- Gurnard Parcels In Asian Spices By: Every Day
- Ceviche By: River Cottage Fish
- Zander in green bed By: ThorstenW
- Dab In A Bap By: Every Day
- Potted Smoked Mackerel By: clairey
- Kasper Gaard's mackerel, red onion and fennel By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Sophie's apple, fennel and mackerel By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- My Escabeche By: River Cottage Sea Fishing Handbook
- Kippers With Crushed New Potatoes By: Every Day
- Euten Lindsey's mackerel, coconut milk and peppers By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Roast Fish Fillets With Roast Potatoes Recipe By: Every Day
- Pan fried mackerel with fennel, potatoes, garlic and bay. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Mackerel stuffed with salsa verde By: River Cottage Fish
- Fish (and chorizo) soup By: River Cottage Fish
- New Potato, Halloumi and Tomato Kebab By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Hot-smoked mackerel pâté By: River Cottage Fish
- Hugh's mackerel, oatmeal, rhubarb By: Hugh's Three Good Things