Just finished watching this episode, fantastic and I'm inspired to make the all the recipes. Just one question on the nettle soup, where do you get pig nuts apart from Hugh's field...?
As seen on the first episode of River Cottage: Three Go Mad shown on Channel 4 in July 2012.Rate this recipe:
- 10 minutes
- 40 minutes
- Serves 12
- For the soup:
- Olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- ½ large celeriac, peeled and cubed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 litres vegetable stock
- 2 carrier bagfuls of stinging nettle tops, or fresh-looking larger leaves, washed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To finish the soup:
- 1 handful pignuts, cleaned and scraped clean
- 4 slices of country loaf or sourdough
- 250g goats curd
- Olive oil
Heat a large heavy based pan over a medium heat and add a knob of butter (about 30g) and a good glug of olive oil. Once the butter is melted add the onions and cook for 3 minutes. Add the celeriac and potato, stir to mix well with the onion, season with a good pinch of salt and pepper and add the bay leaves. Leave to sweat for 5 minutes until the onions are softened.
Add the stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 – 15 minutes until the potato and celeriac are softened. Once softened, remove the bay leaves.
Add the nettles, wilt for 3-4 minutes until they are all collapsed. You may need to add these slowly waiting for the nettles in the pan to wilt before you have room to add the next batch. Remove from the heat and transfer the soup in batches to a jug blender, blending until completely smooth.
Meanwhile heat a griddle pan until hot. Drizzle the slices of bread with olive oil and toast on the griddle pan for 2-3 minutes on either side until golden and lightly charred.
Slice the pignuts about 3mm thick. Heat a knob of butter in a small frying pan over a medium heat and saute the pig nuts for 1 -2 minutes.
Pour the soup back in the cleaned out large saucepan and gently reheat. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
To serve, slice the toasts into three diagonally. Spread with goats curd, season with a little pepper. Divide the soup between warmed bowls. Place the goats curd toasts on top of the soup, dot around the pignuts and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil. Serve immediately.
You've seen us on TV, now why not pay us a visit? River Cottage HQ offers unique cookery courses, dining experiences and bespoke events.
- Cabbage and Chorizo Soup By: Haly
- Roast tomato and paprika soup By: Constanze
- Steve's French Onion Soup By: whiskers
- Spiced banana loaf cake with chocolate chunks By: Three Go Mad
- Peach, Watercress and Redcurrant Salad By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Creamed spinach and ham pancakes with bechamel By: Three Go Mad
- Liz's Curried Root Soup By: LizardM
- Broccoli Garlic and Lemon Zest Soup By: naomi devlin
- Fish (and chorizo) soup By: River Cottage Fish
- Lamb & Squash Curry By: HughFW
- Fennel and celeriac soup with orange zest. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- roasted butternut squash and tomato soup By: spike309
- pumkin soup By: toni_rumens
- Braised Squirrel By: plymouthcanteen
- Roast Duck & Red Cabbage Soup By: caregrow
- Wild mushroom croquette with fried oak moss By: Three Go Mad
- Jo's Simple Carrot Soup By: Jo12345
- Ham Hock Soup with Parsnip and Thyme Bread By: Winter's on the way
- Butternut & Nut Butter Soup By: Every Day
- Gazpacho By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Chicken kiev with wild garlic butter By: Three Go Mad
- Gill’s Mushroom Soup By: gillM
- Courgettte Soup By: Wendy Turner
- Goats' cheese baked cheesecake with boozy cherries By: Three Go Mad
- Bashed new potatoes By: Three Go Mad
- Roast beetroot soup with ginger By: Constanze
- Smoked Widgeon & Chard Soup By: caregrow
- French Onion Soup By: Vegetarian Recipe Club
- Stuffed Butternut Squash By: HughFW
- Chicken & Winter Vegetable Soup By: caregrow
- Aromatic Leek and potato soup By: Kristy
- Christmas Ginger Biscuits By: Three Go Mad
- Split Pea and Ham Soup By: ncook
- Easy Roast Pumpkin Soup By: Luth
- Creamy Pumpkin Soup By: Haly
- Potato and fennel bake By: Three Go Mad
- Curried Parsnip Soup By: marcuscabot5
- Onion and anchovy pissaladiere By: Three Go Mad
- Butternut squash and nettle risotto By: ourgoodlifeuk
- Nettle pesto By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Butternut squash & Ginger soup By: Constanze
- Lee Mack and Robert Webb’s smoked pollock kedgeree By: Three Go Mad
- Philip’s wood-fired mackerel By: Three Go Mad
- Bloody Beetroot Soup By: River Cottage Light and Easy
- Courgette & Ginger Soup By: hayleyphelan
- Hot buttered vodka By: Three Go Mad
- Summer Veg Soup By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Mallorcan bean soup By: Julie D
- Sage and Chestnut Soup By: River Cottage Christmas!
- Courgette & Basil Soup By: yarnsbaby
- Chestnut and sweet potato soup By: pippa.
- Hugh's inky cuttlefish stew By: Three Go Mad
- Carrot soup with dill and mustard By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Hugh's kedgeree By: Three Go Mad
- Basil and Tomato Soup By: annsp
- Xmas fruity walnut beer bread By: Three Go Mad
- Spicy Seafood Soup By: captain_birdseye
- Minestrone Soup By: Dzign
- Nettle ravioli By: River Cottage Hedgerow Handbook
- Mexican tomato & bean soup By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Courgette Fritters By: HughFW
- Avocado and ruby grapefruit with chilli By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Truffles By: Three Go Mad
- Salt baked sea bass with fennel salsa By: Three Go Mad