Just finished watching this episode, fantastic and I'm inspired to make the all the recipes. Just one question on the nettle soup, where do you get pig nuts apart from Hugh's field...?
As seen on the first episode of River Cottage: Three Go Mad shown on Channel 4 in July 2012.Rate this recipe:
- 10 minutes
- 40 minutes
- Serves 12
- For the soup:
- Olive oil
- 2 medium onions, peeled and sliced
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- ½ large celeriac, peeled and cubed
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 litres vegetable stock
- 2 carrier bagfuls of stinging nettle tops, or fresh-looking larger leaves, washed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- To finish the soup:
- 1 handful pignuts, cleaned and scraped clean
- 4 slices of country loaf or sourdough
- 250g goats curd
- Olive oil
Heat a large heavy based pan over a medium heat and add a knob of butter (about 30g) and a good glug of olive oil. Once the butter is melted add the onions and cook for 3 minutes. Add the celeriac and potato, stir to mix well with the onion, season with a good pinch of salt and pepper and add the bay leaves. Leave to sweat for 5 minutes until the onions are softened.
Add the stock and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10 – 15 minutes until the potato and celeriac are softened. Once softened, remove the bay leaves.
Add the nettles, wilt for 3-4 minutes until they are all collapsed. You may need to add these slowly waiting for the nettles in the pan to wilt before you have room to add the next batch. Remove from the heat and transfer the soup in batches to a jug blender, blending until completely smooth.
Meanwhile heat a griddle pan until hot. Drizzle the slices of bread with olive oil and toast on the griddle pan for 2-3 minutes on either side until golden and lightly charred.
Slice the pignuts about 3mm thick. Heat a knob of butter in a small frying pan over a medium heat and sauté the pig nuts for 1 -2 minutes.
Pour the soup back in the cleaned out large saucepan and gently reheat. Taste and adjust the seasoning as necessary.
To serve, slice the toasts into three diagonally. Spread with goats curd, season with a little pepper. Divide the soup between warmed bowls. Place the goats curd toasts on top of the soup, dot around the pignuts and garnish with a drizzle of olive oil. Serve immediately.
- Gill’s Mushroom Soup By: gillM
- Roast Duck & Red Cabbage Soup By: caregrow
- Nettle pesto By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Steve's French Onion Soup By: whiskers
- Braised Squirrel By: plymouthcanteen
- Jo's Simple Carrot Soup By: Jo12345
- Carrot soup with dill and mustard By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Spiced banana loaf cake with chocolate chunks By: Three Go Mad
- Chicken kiev with wild garlic butter By: Three Go Mad
- Gazpacho By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Basil and Tomato Soup By: annsp
- Lamb & Squash Curry By: HughFW
- Chestnut and sweet potato soup By: pippa
- Split Pea and Ham Soup By: ncook
- Hugh's kedgeree By: Three Go Mad
- Beetroot, smoked mackerel and horseradish salad By: Three Go Mad
- Bashed new potatoes By: Three Go Mad
- Lee Mack and Robert Webb’s smoked pollock kedgeree By: Three Go Mad
- Peach, Watercress and Redcurrant Salad By: River Cottage to the Core
- Broccoli Garlic and Lemon Zest Soup By: naomi devlin
- Salt baked sea bass with fennel salsa By: Three Go Mad
- Stuffed Butternut Squash By: HughFW
- Courgette Fritters By: HughFW
- Courgette & Basil Soup By: yarnsbaby
- Hot buttered vodka By: Three Go Mad
- Spicy Seafood Soup By: captain_birdseye
- Fennel and celeriac soup with orange zest. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Xmas fruity walnut beer bread By: Three Go Mad
- Sage and Chestnut Soup By: River Cottage Christmas!
- Chicken & Winter Vegetable Soup By: caregrow
- Smoked Widgeon & Chard Soup By: caregrow
- Philip’s wood-fired mackerel By: Three Go Mad
- roasted butternut squash and tomato soup By: spike309
- Mexican tomato & bean soup By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Wild mushroom croquette with fried oak moss By: Three Go Mad
- Creamy Pumpkin Soup By: Haly
- Liz's Curried Root Soup By: LizardM
- Avocado and ruby grapefruit with chilli By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Butternut & Nut Butter Soup By: Every Day
- pumkin soup By: toni_rumens
- Onion and anchovy pissaladiere By: Three Go Mad
- Mallorcan bean soup By: Julie D
- Fish (and chorizo) soup By: River Cottage Fish
- Courgette & Ginger Soup By: hayleyphelan
- Curried Parsnip Soup By: marcuscabot5
- Potato and fennel bake By: Three Go Mad
- Courgettte Soup By: Wendy Turner
- Nettle ravioli By: River Cottage Hedgerow Handbook
- Goats' cheese baked cheesecake with boozy cherries By: Three Go Mad
- French Onion Soup By: Vegetarian Recipe Club
- Aromatic Leek and potato soup By: Kristy
- Butternut squash and nettle risotto By: ourgoodlifeuk
- Truffles By: Three Go Mad
- Ham Hock Soup with Parsnip and Thyme Bread By: Winter's on the way
- Easy Roast Pumpkin Soup By: Luth
- Creamed spinach and ham pancakes with bechamel By: Three Go Mad
- Summer Veg Soup By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Christmas Ginger Biscuits By: Three Go Mad
- Hugh's inky cuttlefish stew By: Three Go Mad
- Minestrone Soup By: Dzign
- Cabbage and Chorizo Soup By: Haly