This Tuscan bread salad is excellent eaten on its own for lunch, but also just right with barbecued food, or anything else you want to eat outdoors with a bottle of wine on a hot summer’s day. As with all peasant food, there are limitless variations, so feel free to adjust this recipe. That said, I would never attempt to make it if I didn’t have some really good ripe tomatoes and decent extra virgin olive oil. ￼Rate this recipe:
- 15 mintues
- 15 minutes
- About 500g stale white bread (ideally ciabatta or sourdough)
- 150ml extra virgin olive oil 1 large red onion
- Finely chopped 1⁄2 cucumber, chopped quite small
- 4 good-sized ripe tomatoes, chopped quite small
- A handful of small capers 25ml good-quality white wine vinegar, or cider vinegar
- A pinch of caster sugar Flaky sea salt and black pepper
- A big bunch of basil, leaves only
Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
In a roasting tray, toss the bread with half the olive oil then bake it, shaking the pan occasionally, until golden and crispy.
You can miss out this step – many Italians would – but it adds texture and flavour, which I like.
Leave to cool, then toss with the onion, cucumber, tomatoes (including all their juices) and capers in a large serving bowl.
In another bowl, whisk the rest of the olive oil together with the wine vinegar and sugar.
Pour this dressing over the salad and season generously with salt and pepper.
Tear the basil over and toss it all together.
Taste for seasoning.
You can either serve the salad straight away, or leave it to stand at room temperature for an hour or so, to let the flavours blend.
There are no comments available
- Pudina - Maltese bread pudding By: Eatmania
- Gardener s warm cougette salad By: juju1000
- Eggylisish Courgettes By: shivmcshane2
- Hot New Potato Salad With Bacon & Onion By: Every Day
- Avocado and ruby grapefruit with chilli By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Home-made bread with speck, fontina cheese & pistachios By: Eatmania
- Pasta & Tomato Salad By: Doug Anthony
- Buckwheat Cheaty Sourdough By: River Cottage HQ
- Simple Sardines on Toast By: somersetchef
- Apple, Guinness & Cheese Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Small Veg Spelt Salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Eggy Bready Apple Pudding By: Every Day
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- Hot new potato and sorrel salad By: HughFW
- 'Sufa' By: aleksander
- Pumpkin and Walnut Bread By: Maytime
- Fennel Seed Bread By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Courgette Bread By: jennibear
- Indonesian Hot Rice Salad By: Mrs B
- Celariac, lentil apple and parsley salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Full English Breakfast Salad By: Every Day
- Lamb & Couscous Salad By: Every Day
- Chilli Pumpkin Cornbread By: Winter's on the way
- Trout with Blackcurrant, Orange and Fennel Salad By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- The Bacon Sanga By: whiskers
- Crunchy Green Salad By: Po
- Beef & Lentil Salad By: Every Day
- Flatbread By: Daniel Stevens
- Ham Hock Soup with Parsnip and Thyme Bread By: Winter's on the way
- Marrow and Red Onion Chilaquiles By: notjustapples
- Tomato bruschetta with blue cheese and confit chilli By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- Panzanella By: Every Day
- Best Courgette Salad By: ghgirls
- Kale Flower Salad By: EdibleFlowers
- Fluffy Eggs By: naomi devlin
- The sugar sandwich with a twist By: lillyshak
- Bolognese Chilli Recipe By: Every Day
- Courgette and Cheese Loaf By: Pebble Soup
- Focaccia By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Roast Beetroot With Goats Cheese Salad By: Every Day
- Maine Grilled Lobster Rolls By: Jonesy of Westbrook
- Apple, celeriac and lentil salad By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Leftover Stew Pasties By: Every Day
- French Onion Soup By: Vegetarian Recipe Club
- Sweet Bread Pudding By: lillyshak
- Feta and beetroot salad with parsley By: River Cottage Veg Patch
- Basic bread recipe By: River Cottage HQ
- Banana bread By: noncsi0730
- Gill Meller's pear, walnut and blue cheese salad By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Broad bean top and Bacon salad. By: DanH
- Raw Kale Salad By: lilforager
- Plum, celery, walnut and crumbly cheese salad By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Strawberry Panzanella By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Courgette Salad By: Nicola R
- Leftover frittata By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Bread - no knead loaf By: The Curious Gardener
- Potato salad with dill and pickled red onion By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Quick-fried mackerel fillets with garlic and bay By: River Cottage Fish
- Flower salad with hazlenut dressing By: BalconyGardener
- No knead Wholemeal Sourdough Bread By: thejollybrewer
- Bread and butter pudding By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Classic Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Roasted Jerusalem Artichoke, Hazelnut and Goat’s Cheese Salad By: Winter's on the way
- Eggy bread with macerated strawberries By: River Cottage summers here
- Amish soft crust By: cristal666
- Banana & Apple Morning Salad By: Every Day
- Wheaten Bread By: tytoalbakate
- Halloumi Salad By: Every Day
- Summer courgette and herb salad By: cicely_warren
- Sundried Tomato and Basil Bread By: ashepherd
- Smoked new potato salad By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Potato Salad By: martyn
- Salad of baby peas, ricotta and spring onions By: Every Day