This Tuscan bread salad is excellent eaten on its own for lunch, but also just right with barbecued food, or anything else you want to eat outdoors with a bottle of wine on a hot summer’s day. As with all peasant food, there are limitless variations, so feel free to adjust this recipe. That said, I would never attempt to make it if I didn’t have some really good ripe tomatoes and decent extra virgin olive oil. ￼Rate this recipe:
- 15 mintues
- 15 minutes
- About 500g stale white bread (ideally ciabatta or sourdough)
- 150ml extra virgin olive oil 1 large red onion
- Finely chopped 1⁄2 cucumber, chopped quite small
- 4 good-sized ripe tomatoes, chopped quite small
- A handful of small capers 25ml good-quality white wine vinegar, or cider vinegar
- A pinch of caster sugar Flaky sea salt and black pepper
- A big bunch of basil, leaves only
Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
In a roasting tray, toss the bread with half the olive oil then bake it, shaking the pan occasionally, until golden and crispy.
You can miss out this step – many Italians would – but it adds texture and flavour, which I like.
Leave to cool, then toss with the onion, cucumber, tomatoes (including all their juices) and capers in a large serving bowl.
In another bowl, whisk the rest of the olive oil together with the wine vinegar and sugar.
Pour this dressing over the salad and season generously with salt and pepper.
Tear the basil over and toss it all together.
Taste for seasoning.
You can either serve the salad straight away, or leave it to stand at room temperature for an hour or so, to let the flavours blend.
There are no comments available
- Focaccia By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Indonesian Hot Rice Salad By: Mrs B
- Potato Salad By: martyn
- Best Courgette Salad By: ghgirls
- Eggy bread with macerated strawberries By: River Cottage summers here
- Home-made bread with speck, fontina cheese & pistachios By: Eatmania
- Lamb & Couscous Salad By: Every Day
- Quick-fried mackerel fillets with garlic and bay By: River Cottage Fish
- Apple, Guinness & Cheese Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Fluffy Eggs By: naomi devlin
- Bread and butter pudding By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Gardener s warm cougette salad By: juju1000
- Hot new potato and sorrel salad By: HughFW
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- Sweet Bread Pudding By: lillyshak
- Courgette Bread By: jennibear
- Roasted Jerusalem Artichoke, Hazelnut and Goat’s Cheese Salad By: Winters on the way
- Pudina - Maltese bread pudding By: Eatmania
- Banana bread By: noncsi0730
- Hot New Potato Salad With Bacon & Onion By: Every Day
- Flatbread By: Daniel Stevens
- Salad of baby peas, ricotta and spring onions By: Every Day
- The Bacon Sanga By: whiskers
- Celariac, lentil apple and parsley salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- The sugar sandwich with a twist By: lillyshak
- Panzanella By: Every Day
- Roast Beetroot With Goats Cheese Salad By: Every Day
- Potato salad with dill and pickled red onion By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Leftover Stew Pasties By: Every Day
- Pumpkin and Walnut Bread By: Maytime
- Bread - no knead loaf By: The Curious Gardener
- Eggy Bready Apple Pudding By: Every Day
- Summer courgette and herb salad By: cicely_warren
- Avocado and ruby grapefruit with chilli By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Feta and beetroot salad with parsley By: River Cottage Veg Patch
- Banana & Apple Morning Salad By: Every Day
- Wheaten Bread By: tytoalbakate
- Beef & Lentil Salad By: Every Day
- Courgette and Cheese Loaf By: Pebble Soup
- No knead Wholemeal Sourdough Bread By: thejollybrewer
- Courgette Salad By: Nicola R
- Halloumi Salad By: Every Day
- Amish soft crust By: cristal666
- Simple Sardines on Toast By: somersetchef
- Marrow and Red Onion Chilaquiles By: notjustapples
- Flower salad with hazlenut dressing By: BalconyGardener
- Gill Meller's pear, walnut and blue cheese salad By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Raw Kale Salad By: lilforager
- Ham Hock Soup with Parsnip and Thyme Bread By: Winters on the way
- Chilli Pumpkin Cornbread By: Winters on the way
- Sundried Tomato and Basil Bread By: ashepherd
- 'Sufa' By: aleksander
- Broad bean top and Bacon salad. By: DanH
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Full English Breakfast Salad By: Every Day
- Classic Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Crunchy Green Salad By: Po
- Small Veg Spelt Salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- French Onion Soup By: Vegetarian Recipe Club
- Bolognese Chilli Recipe By: Every Day
- Maine Grilled Lobster Rolls By: Jonesy of Westbrook
- Eggylisish Courgettes By: shivmcshane2
- Pasta & Tomato Salad By: Doug Anthony