This Tuscan bread salad is excellent eaten on its own for lunch, but also just right with barbecued food, or anything else you want to eat outdoors with a bottle of wine on a hot summer’s day. As with all peasant food, there are limitless variations, so feel free to adjust this recipe. That said, I would never attempt to make it if I didn’t have some really good ripe tomatoes and decent extra virgin olive oil. ￼Rate this recipe:
- 15 mintues
- 15 minutes
- About 500g stale white bread (ideally ciabatta or sourdough)
- 150ml extra virgin olive oil 1 large red onion
- Finely chopped 1⁄2 cucumber, chopped quite small
- 4 good-sized ripe tomatoes, chopped quite small
- A handful of small capers 25ml good-quality white wine vinegar, or cider vinegar
- A pinch of caster sugar Flaky sea salt and black pepper
- A big bunch of basil, leaves only
Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
In a roasting tray, toss the bread with half the olive oil then bake it, shaking the pan occasionally, until golden and crispy.
You can miss out this step – many Italians would – but it adds texture and flavour, which I like.
Leave to cool, then toss with the onion, cucumber, tomatoes (including all their juices) and capers in a large serving bowl.
In another bowl, whisk the rest of the olive oil together with the wine vinegar and sugar.
Pour this dressing over the salad and season generously with salt and pepper.
Tear the basil over and toss it all together.
Taste for seasoning.
You can either serve the salad straight away, or leave it to stand at room temperature for an hour or so, to let the flavours blend.
There are no comments available
- Banana & Apple Morning Salad By: Every Day
- Halloumi Salad By: Every Day
- Classic Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Marrow and Red Onion Chilaquiles By: notjustapples
- Broad bean top and Bacon salad. By: DanH
- Hot new potato and sorrel salad By: HughFW
- Lamb & Couscous Salad By: Every Day
- Indonesian Hot Rice Salad By: Mrs B
- Eggy Bready Apple Pudding By: Every Day
- Ham Hock Soup with Parsnip and Thyme Bread By: Winter's on the way
- Tomato bruschetta with blue cheese and confit chilli By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- Beef & Lentil Salad By: Every Day
- Feta and beetroot salad with parsley By: River Cottage Veg Patch
- Courgette and Cheese Loaf By: Pebble Soup
- Maine Grilled Lobster Rolls By: Jonesy of Westbrook
- Sundried Tomato and Basil Bread By: ashepherd
- Celariac, lentil apple and parsley salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Flatbread By: Daniel Stevens
- Pudina - Maltese bread pudding By: Eatmania
- French Onion Soup By: Vegetarian Recipe Club
- Panzanella By: Every Day
- Simple Sardines on Toast By: somersetchef
- Courgette Salad By: Nicola R
- Eggylisish Courgettes By: shivmcshane2
- Roasted Jerusalem Artichoke, Hazelnut and Goat’s Cheese Salad By: Winter's on the way
- Potato Salad By: martyn
- Full English Breakfast Salad By: Every Day
- Crunchy Green Salad By: Po
- 'Sufa' By: aleksander
- Chilli Pumpkin Cornbread By: Winter's on the way
- Raw Kale Salad By: lilforager
- Amish soft crust By: cristal666
- Trout with Blackcurrant, Orange and Fennel Salad By: River Cottage to the Core
- Courgette Bread By: jennibear
- Eggy bread with macerated strawberries By: River Cottage summers here
- Strawberry Panzanella By: River Cottage to the Core
- Quick-fried mackerel fillets with garlic and bay By: River Cottage Fish
- The sugar sandwich with a twist By: lillyshak
- Wheaten Bread By: tytoalbakate
- Best Courgette Salad By: ghgirls
- Bread - no knead loaf By: The Curious Gardener
- Banana bread By: noncsi0730
- Apple, Guinness & Cheese Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Potato salad with dill and pickled red onion By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Apple, celeriac and lentil salad By: River Cottage to the Core
- Pumpkin and Walnut Bread By: Maytime
- Focaccia By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Hot New Potato Salad With Bacon & Onion By: Every Day
- No knead Wholemeal Sourdough Bread By: thejollybrewer
- Salad of baby peas, ricotta and spring onions By: Every Day
- Roast Beetroot With Goats Cheese Salad By: Every Day
- Small Veg Spelt Salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Smoked new potato salad By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Gill Meller's pear, walnut and blue cheese salad By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Flower salad with hazlenut dressing By: BalconyGardener
- Leftover Stew Pasties By: Every Day
- Avocado and ruby grapefruit with chilli By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- Bread and butter pudding By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- The Bacon Sanga By: whiskers
- Basic bread recipe By: RiverCottageHQ
- Gardener s warm cougette salad By: juju1000
- Pasta & Tomato Salad By: Doug Anthony
- Sweet Bread Pudding By: lillyshak
- Plum, celery, walnut and crumbly cheese salad By: River Cottage to the Core
- Home-made bread with speck, fontina cheese & pistachios By: Eatmania
- Fluffy Eggs By: naomi devlin
- Bolognese Chilli Recipe By: Every Day
- Summer courgette and herb salad By: cicely_warren
- Kale Flower Salad By: EdibleFlowers