This Tuscan bread salad is excellent eaten on its own for lunch, but also just right with barbecued food, or anything else you want to eat outdoors with a bottle of wine on a hot summer’s day. As with all peasant food, there are limitless variations, so feel free to adjust this recipe. That said, I would never attempt to make it if I didn’t have some really good ripe tomatoes and decent extra virgin olive oil. ￼Rate this recipe:
- 15 mintues
- 15 minutes
- About 500g stale white bread (ideally ciabatta or sourdough)
- 150ml extra virgin olive oil 1 large red onion
- Finely chopped 1⁄2 cucumber, chopped quite small
- 4 good-sized ripe tomatoes, chopped quite small
- A handful of small capers 25ml good-quality white wine vinegar, or cider vinegar
- A pinch of caster sugar Flaky sea salt and black pepper
- A big bunch of basil, leaves only
Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
In a roasting tray, toss the bread with half the olive oil then bake it, shaking the pan occasionally, until golden and crispy.
You can miss out this step – many Italians would – but it adds texture and flavour, which I like.
Leave to cool, then toss with the onion, cucumber, tomatoes (including all their juices) and capers in a large serving bowl.
In another bowl, whisk the rest of the olive oil together with the wine vinegar and sugar.
Pour this dressing over the salad and season generously with salt and pepper.
Tear the basil over and toss it all together.
Taste for seasoning.
You can either serve the salad straight away, or leave it to stand at room temperature for an hour or so, to let the flavours blend.
There are no comments available
- Bread - no knead loaf By: The Curious Gardener
- Wheaten Bread By: tytoalbakate
- Banana & Apple Morning Salad By: Every Day
- Flower salad with hazlenut dressing By: BalconyGardener
- Plum, celery, walnut and crumbly cheese salad By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Fluffy Eggs By: naomi devlin
- Buckwheat Cheaty Sourdough By: River Cottage HQ
- Pumpkin and Walnut Bread By: Maytime
- Best Courgette Salad By: ghgirls
- Classic Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Hot New Potato Salad With Bacon & Onion By: Every Day
- Full English Breakfast Salad By: Every Day
- Fennel Seed Bread By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Trout with Blackcurrant, Orange and Fennel Salad By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Panzanella By: Every Day
- Kale Flower Salad By: EdibleFlowers
- Ham Hock Soup with Parsnip and Thyme Bread By: Winter's on the way
- Beef & Lentil Salad By: Every Day
- Potato salad with dill and pickled red onion By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Sundried Tomato and Basil Bread By: ashepherd
- Celariac, lentil apple and parsley salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Hot new potato and sorrel salad By: HughFW
- Bolognese Chilli Recipe By: Every Day
- Apple, celeriac and lentil salad By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Pasta & Tomato Salad By: Doug Anthony
- Indonesian Hot Rice Salad By: Mrs B
- Avocado and ruby grapefruit with chilli By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Courgette Bread By: jennibear
- Focaccia By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Apple, Guinness & Cheese Soda Bread By: Every Day
- French Onion Soup By: Vegetarian Recipe Club
- Smoked new potato salad By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Bread and butter pudding By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Eggy bread with macerated strawberries By: River Cottage summers here
- 'Sufa' By: aleksander
- Eggy Bready Apple Pudding By: Every Day
- Crunchy Green Salad By: Po
- Home-made bread with speck, fontina cheese & pistachios By: Eatmania
- The sugar sandwich with a twist By: lillyshak
- Simple Sardines on Toast By: somersetchef
- Summer courgette and herb salad By: cicely_warren
- Halloumi Salad By: Every Day
- Tomato bruschetta with blue cheese and confit chilli By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- Pudina - Maltese bread pudding By: Eatmania
- Leftover Stew Pasties By: Every Day
- Feta and beetroot salad with parsley By: River Cottage Veg Patch
- Courgette and Cheese Loaf By: Pebble Soup
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- Amish soft crust By: cristal666
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Banana bread By: noncsi0730
- Sweet Bread Pudding By: lillyshak
- No knead Wholemeal Sourdough Bread By: thejollybrewer
- Small Veg Spelt Salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Potato Salad By: martyn
- Lamb & Couscous Salad By: Every Day
- Flatbread By: Daniel Stevens
- Roasted Jerusalem Artichoke, Hazelnut and Goat’s Cheese Salad By: Winter's on the way
- Maine Grilled Lobster Rolls By: Jonesy of Westbrook
- Gill Meller's pear, walnut and blue cheese salad By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Strawberry Panzanella By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Salad of baby peas, ricotta and spring onions By: Every Day
- Marrow and Red Onion Chilaquiles By: notjustapples
- Basic bread recipe By: River Cottage HQ
- Broad bean top and Bacon salad. By: DanH
- Quick-fried mackerel fillets with garlic and bay By: River Cottage Fish
- Leftover frittata By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Eggylisish Courgettes By: shivmcshane2
- Gardener s warm cougette salad By: juju1000
- The Bacon Sanga By: whiskers
- Raw Kale Salad By: lilforager
- Chilli Pumpkin Cornbread By: Winter's on the way
- Courgette Salad By: Nicola R
- Roast Beetroot With Goats Cheese Salad By: Every Day