This Tuscan bread salad is excellent eaten on its own for lunch, but also just right with barbecued food, or anything else you want to eat outdoors with a bottle of wine on a hot summer’s day. As with all peasant food, there are limitless variations, so feel free to adjust this recipe. That said, I would never attempt to make it if I didn’t have some really good ripe tomatoes and decent extra virgin olive oil. ￼Rate this recipe:
- 15 mintues
- 15 minutes
- About 500g stale white bread (ideally ciabatta or sourdough)
- 150ml extra virgin olive oil 1 large red onion
- Finely chopped 1⁄2 cucumber, chopped quite small
- 4 good-sized ripe tomatoes, chopped quite small
- A handful of small capers 25ml good-quality white wine vinegar, or cider vinegar
- A pinch of caster sugar Flaky sea salt and black pepper
- A big bunch of basil, leaves only
Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
In a roasting tray, toss the bread with half the olive oil then bake it, shaking the pan occasionally, until golden and crispy.
You can miss out this step – many Italians would – but it adds texture and flavour, which I like.
Leave to cool, then toss with the onion, cucumber, tomatoes (including all their juices) and capers in a large serving bowl.
In another bowl, whisk the rest of the olive oil together with the wine vinegar and sugar.
Pour this dressing over the salad and season generously with salt and pepper.
Tear the basil over and toss it all together.
Taste for seasoning.
You can either serve the salad straight away, or leave it to stand at room temperature for an hour or so, to let the flavours blend.
There are no comments available
- Pumpkin and Walnut Bread By: Maytime
- Eggy bread with macerated strawberries By: River Cottage summers here
- Summer courgette and herb salad By: cicely_warren
- Classic Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Halloumi Salad By: Every Day
- Strawberry Panzanella By: River Cottage to the Core
- Raw Kale Salad By: lilforager
- Crunchy Green Salad By: Po
- Lamb & Couscous Salad By: Every Day
- Potato salad with dill and pickled red onion By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Simple Sardines on Toast By: somersetchef
- Roast Beetroot With Goats Cheese Salad By: Every Day
- Eggylisish Courgettes By: shivmcshane2
- Plum, celery, walnut and crumbly cheese salad By: River Cottage to the Core
- Tomato bruschetta with blue cheese and confit chilli By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- Gardener s warm cougette salad By: juju1000
- Marrow and Red Onion Chilaquiles By: notjustapples
- Maine Grilled Lobster Rolls By: Jonesy of Westbrook
- Banana bread By: noncsi0730
- Sweet Bread Pudding By: lillyshak
- Amish soft crust By: cristal666
- Avocado and ruby grapefruit with chilli By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Bread and butter pudding By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Ham Hock Soup with Parsnip and Thyme Bread By: Winter's on the way
- Courgette Bread By: jennibear
- Broad bean top and Bacon salad. By: DanH
- Leftover Stew Pasties By: Every Day
- Focaccia By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Banana & Apple Morning Salad By: Every Day
- Pudina - Maltese bread pudding By: Eatmania
- Quick-fried mackerel fillets with garlic and bay By: River Cottage Fish
- Sundried Tomato and Basil Bread By: ashepherd
- The sugar sandwich with a twist By: lillyshak
- Flatbread By: Daniel Stevens
- Celariac, lentil apple and parsley salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Courgette Salad By: Nicola R
- Wheaten Bread By: tytoalbakate
- Apple, celeriac and lentil salad By: River Cottage to the Core
- Gill Meller's pear, walnut and blue cheese salad By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Hot New Potato Salad With Bacon & Onion By: Every Day
- Flower salad with hazlenut dressing By: BalconyGardener
- 'Sufa' By: aleksander
- Beef & Lentil Salad By: Every Day
- Eggy Bready Apple Pudding By: Every Day
- Small Veg Spelt Salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Indonesian Hot Rice Salad By: Mrs B
- Full English Breakfast Salad By: Every Day
- French Onion Soup By: Vegetarian Recipe Club
- Bolognese Chilli Recipe By: Every Day
- Chilli Pumpkin Cornbread By: Winter's on the way
- Feta and beetroot salad with parsley By: River Cottage Veg Patch
- The Bacon Sanga By: whiskers
- Salad of baby peas, ricotta and spring onions By: Every Day
- Trout with Blackcurrant, Orange and Fennel Salad By: River Cottage to the Core
- Apple, Guinness & Cheese Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Hot new potato and sorrel salad By: HughFW
- Potato Salad By: martyn
- Bread - no knead loaf By: The Curious Gardener
- Best Courgette Salad By: ghgirls
- Pasta & Tomato Salad By: Doug Anthony
- Fluffy Eggs By: naomi devlin
- Home-made bread with speck, fontina cheese & pistachios By: Eatmania
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Courgette and Cheese Loaf By: Pebble Soup
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- Roasted Jerusalem Artichoke, Hazelnut and Goat’s Cheese Salad By: Winter's on the way
- Kale Flower Salad By: EdibleFlowers
- Panzanella By: Every Day
- No knead Wholemeal Sourdough Bread By: thejollybrewer