This Tuscan bread salad is excellent eaten on its own for lunch, but also just right with barbecued food, or anything else you want to eat outdoors with a bottle of wine on a hot summer’s day. As with all peasant food, there are limitless variations, so feel free to adjust this recipe. That said, I would never attempt to make it if I didn’t have some really good ripe tomatoes and decent extra virgin olive oil. ￼Rate this recipe:
- 15 mintues
- 15 minutes
- About 500g stale white bread (ideally ciabatta or sourdough)
- 150ml extra virgin olive oil 1 large red onion
- Finely chopped 1⁄2 cucumber, chopped quite small
- 4 good-sized ripe tomatoes, chopped quite small
- A handful of small capers 25ml good-quality white wine vinegar, or cider vinegar
- A pinch of caster sugar Flaky sea salt and black pepper
- A big bunch of basil, leaves only
Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
In a roasting tray, toss the bread with half the olive oil then bake it, shaking the pan occasionally, until golden and crispy.
You can miss out this step – many Italians would – but it adds texture and flavour, which I like.
Leave to cool, then toss with the onion, cucumber, tomatoes (including all their juices) and capers in a large serving bowl.
In another bowl, whisk the rest of the olive oil together with the wine vinegar and sugar.
Pour this dressing over the salad and season generously with salt and pepper.
Tear the basil over and toss it all together.
Taste for seasoning.
You can either serve the salad straight away, or leave it to stand at room temperature for an hour or so, to let the flavours blend.
There are no comments available
- Avocado and ruby grapefruit with chilli By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Potato Salad By: martyn
- Sweet Bread Pudding By: lillyshak
- Trout with Blackcurrant, Orange and Fennel Salad By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Crunchy Green Salad By: Po
- Home-made bread with speck, fontina cheese & pistachios By: Eatmania
- The sugar sandwich with a twist By: lillyshak
- Classic Soda Bread By: Every Day
- French Onion Soup By: Vegetarian Recipe Club
- Buckwheat Cheaty Sourdough By: River Cottage HQ
- Banana & Apple Morning Salad By: Every Day
- Roasted Jerusalem Artichoke, Hazelnut and Goat’s Cheese Salad By: Winter's on the way
- Celariac, lentil apple and parsley salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- The Bacon Sanga By: whiskers
- Apple, celeriac and lentil salad By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Amish soft crust By: cristal666
- Best Courgette Salad By: ghgirls
- Chilli Pumpkin Cornbread By: Winter's on the way
- 'Sufa' By: aleksander
- Summer courgette and herb salad By: cicely_warren
- Raw Kale Salad By: lilforager
- Pudina - Maltese bread pudding By: Eatmania
- Courgette Salad By: Nicola R
- Fluffy Eggs By: naomi devlin
- Maine Grilled Lobster Rolls By: Jonesy of Westbrook
- Focaccia By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Basic bread recipe By: River Cottage HQ
- Gardener s warm cougette salad By: juju1000
- Halloumi Salad By: Every Day
- Simple Sardines on Toast By: somersetchef
- Hot New Potato Salad With Bacon & Onion By: Every Day
- Tomato bruschetta with blue cheese and confit chilli By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- Marrow and Red Onion Chilaquiles By: notjustapples
- Eggylisish Courgettes By: shivmcshane2
- Fennel Seed Bread By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Ham Hock Soup with Parsnip and Thyme Bread By: Winter's on the way
- Potato salad with dill and pickled red onion By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Courgette Bread By: jennibear
- Panzanella By: Every Day
- Eggy bread with macerated strawberries By: River Cottage summers here
- Broad bean top and Bacon salad. By: DanH
- Sundried Tomato and Basil Bread By: ashepherd
- Flatbread By: Daniel Stevens
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- Strawberry Panzanella By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- No knead Wholemeal Sourdough Bread By: thejollybrewer
- Gill Meller's pear, walnut and blue cheese salad By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Bolognese Chilli Recipe By: Every Day
- Hot new potato and sorrel salad By: HughFW
- Courgette and Cheese Loaf By: Pebble Soup
- Wheaten Bread By: tytoalbakate
- Smoked new potato salad By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Eggy Bready Apple Pudding By: Every Day
- Kale Flower Salad By: EdibleFlowers
- Pasta & Tomato Salad By: Doug Anthony
- Quick-fried mackerel fillets with garlic and bay By: River Cottage Fish
- Pumpkin and Walnut Bread By: Maytime
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Bread - no knead loaf By: The Curious Gardener
- Plum, celery, walnut and crumbly cheese salad By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Banana bread By: noncsi0730
- Feta and beetroot salad with parsley By: River Cottage Veg Patch
- Salad of baby peas, ricotta and spring onions By: Every Day
- Roast Beetroot With Goats Cheese Salad By: Every Day
- Bread and butter pudding By: River Cottage Bread Handbook
- Lamb & Couscous Salad By: Every Day
- Leftover frittata By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Apple, Guinness & Cheese Soda Bread By: Every Day
- Full English Breakfast Salad By: Every Day
- Beef & Lentil Salad By: Every Day
- Flower salad with hazlenut dressing By: BalconyGardener
- Indonesian Hot Rice Salad By: Mrs B
- Leftover Stew Pasties By: Every Day
- Small Veg Spelt Salad By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!