I am going to be adapting this recipe this weekend substituting grey squirrel (from Ridley's Game Merchants, Northumberland) for rabbit. It is really just a sort of arboreal rabbit isn't it? I'm imagining you would cook it in a similar way to rabbit anyway...
A spicy curry with an unusual rabbity twist.Rate this recipe:
- About 1 hour
- Serves 4-6
- • 4 tbsp sunflower or rapeseed oil
- • 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
- • 1 bay leaf
- • 4 cardamom pods
- • 2 large onions, chopped
- • 2 tbsp garlic and ginger paste (see above)
- • 1 tsp chilli powder
- • 1 tsp ground turmeric
- • 1 tsp paprika
- • 1 tsp ground cumin
- • 1 tsp ground coriander
- • 2 whole plum tomatoes from a tin (or skinned, fresh ones)
- • 2 tsp black onion (a.k.a. nigella or kalonji) seeds
- • 2 rabbits, jointed into 10 pieces each
- • 1 tsp garam masala
- • Fresh coriander, to finish
- • a little root ginger, cut into very fine strips (julienne), to finish
- • salt and freshly ground black pepper
if using the giant rabbit in clifton, go in well armed, he was eying me up like i'd put corriander in the owners curry.
I made this this evening and am now somewhat drunk but hopefully what I say say should be more or less comprehensible.
Try not to add too much water – you don't want the meat to become overcooked while you wait for the saucy bits to reduce.
Arguably, the parting of meat from bone is a job for the cook. My dining companion became noticeably irritated as he tried to prize meat from the shin and more than once this resulted in his propelling curried rabbit clear across the room.
In my gluttony, I became apprehensive that rabbit is not fatty enough and added a sizeable knob of butter without disastrous consequences.
Grosso modo, this recipe produced a tasty curry that, in the eating, was heavy on elbow work.
(My rabbits were wild and came jointed from the Saturday market in Kennington, London – two for ten pounds. Sainsbury's Nine Elms was utterly without cinnamon sticks and I used some ground cinnamon instead).
- Brussels sprout curry. By: toddie
- Achocha Curry By: SandEdge
- Rabbit Rillettes By: Winter's on the way
- Rabbits Pie By: Snow_Bunny
- Virginia's Sri Lankan Egg Curry By: LizardM
- Coronation Chicken with Blueberries and Almonds By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- west indian goat curry By: goatladynubian
- Lamb & Squash Curry By: HughFW
- Egg & Spinach Curry By: Every Day
- Curried fish pie By: Every Day
- Baked Chicken Curry By: Every Day
- Southern-fried Rabbit Legs By: Winter's on the way
- Butter Chicken By: cabrioler
- Thai Fish Curry By: Every Day
- Recipe for Coronation Curry sauce (Vegan) By: somersetchef
- Lewy's Left Over Chicken Curry By: lewy
- Tandoori Rabbit By: Winter's on the way
- Curry Chicken By: nuris
- Chickpea ketchup curry By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Rabbit Haggis By: Winter's on the way
- Hugh's potatoes, mushrooms and curry By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Chard & new potato curry By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Rabbit Stew By: River Cottage Meat
- Somerset Wild Fallow Venison Curry By: somersetchef
- Cambodian wedding day dip. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!