Going to try this tonight- potatoes from the garden and broad beans .
Though unconventional, this dish makes a lot of sense. Roasting potatoes to perfection takes a little effort - heating the oil in the roasting tin, parboiling the spuds, roughing them up a little - but when you get it spot on, you have something approaching the perfect chip, albeit rather chunkier in shape.Rate this recipe:
- 10-15 minutes
- 1 hour 40 minutes
- * 500g fairly floury potatoes (try Maris Piper, King Edward or Desiree), peeled and cut into smallish chunks
- * 3-4 tbsp sunflower, groundnut or rapeseed oil, or goose fat
- * About 500g fish fillets, such as 2 gurnard or bream fillets, 1 fat fillet of pollack, or 4 large mackerel fillets
- * A few bay leaves
- * Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Put the potatoes in a pan, cover with cold water and add a good pinch of salt. Bring to the boil, simmer for 8 minutes, then drain well and return to the empty pan to steam off for a few minutes.
2. Put the oil or fat in a large roasting tin and place in an oven preheated to 200C/Gas Mark 6 until smoking hot. Meanwhile, generously season the potatoes in their pan, then rough them up: either hold the lid on and give the pan a little shake or use a sharp fork to scratch their surfaces.
3. When the oil is smoking hot, tip in the potatoes. Baste them well with the oil, then return the tin to the oven for 45 minutes, giving them a stir after about 30 minutes. By this stage, the potatoes should be almost done - i.e. have a golden crust all over but look as if they could still take a bit more crisping up. Create a space in the middle of the tin for the fish.
4. Add the fish to the tin, sprinkle it with salt and pepper, then tuck in the bay leaves. Return to the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the fish is just cooked. Serve at once, with pea puree or mushy squash and, by all means, ketchup - or roasted tomato sauce.
When I was at the Axminster Canteen, I had a dish that was similar to this with Pollock, with roasted new potatoes and I think, roasted beetroot served with a salsa verde. I would love the recipe if anyone knows how to do it!!!!!
I tried this the other evening with Mackerel fillets that I caught and filleted myself. (Get me!) Added some wilted spinach and it was a winner with everyone at the table apart from the bones I missed. Oops!
Previously only used boiled new potatoes but the roasties worked great. As Every Day says they're like chips. Never thought of that before. Doh!
Love Love Love this! Especially when using freahly caught Bream! Another awesome recipe. Thanks RC! :-)
Tried the chips on their own today, as Martin said very easy but tasted fantastic!
Nice and simple saw it on the show last night what could be easier ?
I dont like mushy peas much so the fresh steamed ones will do for me.
Kristine loves mushy peas and will probably win the argument .
i would try this with Ray wings and perhaps a little crusty bread.
Martin and Kristine
- Jerusalem artichoke and nettle gratin By: HughFW
- Dab In A Bap By: Every Day
- Marinated salt bream with roast tomatoes By: River Cottage Fish
- Hugh's apple, squash and chilli By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Roast Beetroot With Goats Cheese Salad By: Every Day
- Turkey-au-vin & Stuffed Roast Turkey Breast By: Winter's on the way
- Mackerel barbecued over bay By: River Cottage Fish
- Mackerel with Rosemary Potatoes By: mildive
- Sardine Bake By: Every Day
- Hugh's potatoes, mushrooms and curry By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Easy Roast Pumpkin Soup By: Luth
- Potato and fennel bake By: Three Go Mad
- Scallops With Mushy Squash By: Winter's on the way
- Hugh's fish, lime and mint By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Ceviche By: River Cottage Fish
- Pork, Fennel and Potato Salad By: Every Day
- Pot-roasted gurnard By: River Cottage Fish
- Butternut Squash & Cranberry rolls By: Neil Drummond
- All day Sunday Chicken By: nikki75
- Smoked pollack and spinach tart By: River Cottage Fish
- Zander in green bed By: ThorstenW
- Hot new potato and sorrel salad By: HughFW
- Butternut squash and cashew nut roast By: HarrietJames
- cheesy creamy garlic potatoes By: BlackBeauty
- Minestrone Soup By: Dzign
- Smoked pollack with poached egg By: River Cottage Fish
- Breaded Fish Fillets with Tomato Salsa By: Every Day
- County Cork/Swiss Irish Stew By: Globi
- Gurnard Parcels In Asian Spices By: Every Day
- Wild garlic and local cheddar aligot with steamed chard and poached eggs By: River Cottage Canteen Bath
- Mackerel with Gooseberry and Mint Salsa By: River Cottage to the Core
- Courgette & Ginger Soup By: hayleyphelan
- My Escabeche By: River Cottage Sea Fishing Handbook
- Dutch farmers- hotchpotch By: breyten
- Smoked Mackerel with Spring Onions & Horseradish Mayonnaise By: somersetchef
- Squash stuffed with leeks By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Aromatic Leek and potato soup By: Kristy
- Hugh's lamb, potatoes and mushrooms By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Butternut & Nut Butter Soup By: Every Day
- Quorn Dosi By: selfheal
- Bashed new potatoes By: Three Go Mad
- Lemon & Orange Squash By: Every Day
- Pan fried mackerel with fennel, potatoes, garlic and bay. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Bacalhau à Gomes de Sá (a La Murray) By: LizardM
- Hugh's inky cuttlefish stew By: Three Go Mad
- Roasted Squash and shallots with merguez chickpeas By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Hugh's squash, ricotta and ham By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Roasted Aubergine and Potatoes By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Mackerel, new potatoes, shallots By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Sam Rom's lamb, squash and almonds By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Thyme, Oregano & Lemon Zest Rubbed Chicken By: BecauseAGirlsGottaEat
- Potato Salad By: martyn
- Butternut Squash and Stilton Risotto By: Seraphim
- Hugh's sole, lemon and potato By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Indonesian Hot Rice Salad By: Mrs B
- Potato Paprikash/Paprikáskrumpli By: Delinke
- Simple Sardines on Toast By: somersetchef
- Roast Duck & Red Cabbage Soup By: caregrow
- Lamb, potatoes, mushrooms By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Thai Fish Curry By: Every Day
- side dish By: serena
- Gill's apple, pork and potatoes By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Hugh's ham, potatoes and parsley By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Lamb & Squash Curry By: HughFW
- Fish (and chorizo) soup By: River Cottage Fish
- Flash Fried Lemon Fish By: lillyshak
- Slow-roast Beef Brisket & Roasted Sirloin By: Winter's on the way
- Lewy's Left Over Chicken Curry By: lewy
- Roast Pumpkin Soup By: peterr
- Devilled crab cakes with herby mayonnaise By: Hugh's Fish Fight
- Lisa's chicken, potatoes and baby leeks By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Kippers With Crushed New Potatoes By: Every Day
- Fish Pie, cook from frozen. By: Orangesadler
- Mackerel stuffed with salsa verde By: River Cottage Fish
- Fish in Beer Batter By: River Cottage Fish