We had this as part of our Christmas day lunch, really good, we had seconds.
This recipe features in the River Cottage Christmas special as seen on Channel 4, December 2011. The recipe is taken from Hugh's River Cottage Veg Every Day! Available here: http://astore.amazon.co.uk/rivecott-21/detail/1408812126Rate this recipe:
- 10 mins
- 30 - 40 mins
- 1 tbs rapeseed oil
- 15g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 sage leaves, roughly chopped, plus extra to finish
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 400g cooked, peeled chestnuts
- 100ml crème fraîche, plus extra for garnish
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sunflower oil for frying
Heat 1 tablespoon of rapeseed oil and the butter in a saucepan over a medium-low heat and sweat the onion for about 10 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add the sage and garlic and sauté for a minute.
Pour in the stock and add most of the chestnuts – reserve a handful for finishing. Season with salt and pepper, increase the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring from time to time.
Remove from the heat and cool slightly, then purée until very smooth in a blender. Return the soup to the pan, add the crème fraîche and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Warm through gently – do not let it boil.
Meanwhile, slice the reserved chestnuts. Heat some sunflower oil in a small frying pan over a medium heat and sauté the sage leaves for a few seconds until crisp, then drain on kitchen paper.
Ladle the soup into espresso cups, add a small spoon of crème fraiche and gently swirl into the soup, scatter on the chestnuts and sage leaves. Serve immediately.
- Chicken & Winter Vegetable Soup By: caregrow
- Minestrone Soup By: Dzign
- Liz's Curried Root Soup By: LizardM
- Butternut squash & Ginger soup By: Constanze
- Courgette & Basil Soup By: yarnsbaby
- Carrot soup with dill and mustard By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Split Pea and Ham Soup By: ncook
- Hugh's kale, onions and chestnuts By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Bloody Beetroot Soup By: River Cottage Light and Easy
- Fennel and celeriac soup with orange zest. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Summer stir-fry with egg-fried rice By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Ham Hock Soup with Parsnip and Thyme Bread By: Winter's on the way
- Spicy Seafood Soup By: captain_birdseye
- Steve's French Onion Soup By: whiskers
- Kale, onions, chestnuts By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Cabbage and Chorizo Soup By: Haly
- Mallorcan bean soup By: Julie D
- Aromatic Leek and potato soup By: Kristy
- pumkin soup By: toni_rumens
- roasted butternut squash and tomato soup By: spike309
- Courgettte Soup By: Wendy Turner
- Fish (and chorizo) soup By: River Cottage Fish
- Easy Roast Pumpkin Soup By: Luth
- Chestnut and sweet potato soup By: pippa.
- Jo's Simple Carrot Soup By: Jo12345
- Courgette & Ginger Soup By: hayleyphelan
- Curried Parsnip Soup By: marcuscabot5
- Broccoli Garlic and Lemon Zest Soup By: naomi devlin
- Roast Duck & Red Cabbage Soup By: caregrow
- Creamy Pumpkin Soup By: Haly
- Creamy Brussels sprouts with chestnuts and bacon By: MarkD
- French Onion Soup By: Vegetarian Recipe Club
- Roast tomato and paprika soup By: Constanze
- Basil and Tomato Soup By: annsp
- Smoked Widgeon & Chard Soup By: caregrow
- Nettle soup with pignuts and goats curd toast By: Three Go Mad
- Roast beetroot soup with ginger By: Constanze
- Summer Veg Soup By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Gazpacho By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Mexican tomato & bean soup By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Swede speltotto By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Gill’s Mushroom Soup By: gillM
- Butternut & Nut Butter Soup By: Every Day