We had this as part of our Christmas day lunch, really good, we had seconds.
This recipe features in the River Cottage Christmas special as seen on Channel 4, December 2011. The recipe is taken from Hugh's River Cottage Veg Every Day! Available here: http://astore.amazon.co.uk/rivecott-21/detail/1408812126Rate this recipe:
- 10 mins
- 30 - 40 mins
- 1 tbs rapeseed oil
- 15g butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 sage leaves, roughly chopped, plus extra to finish
- 1 small garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 400g cooked, peeled chestnuts
- 100ml crème fraîche, plus extra for garnish
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Sunflower oil for frying
Heat 1 tablespoon of rapeseed oil and the butter in a saucepan over a medium-low heat and sweat the onion for about 10 minutes, until soft and translucent. Add the sage and garlic and sauté for a minute.
Pour in the stock and add most of the chestnuts – reserve a handful for finishing. Season with salt and pepper, increase the heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring from time to time.
Remove from the heat and cool slightly, then purée until very smooth in a blender. Return the soup to the pan, add the crème fraîche and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Warm through gently – do not let it boil.
Meanwhile, slice the reserved chestnuts. Heat some sunflower oil in a small frying pan over a medium heat and sauté the sage leaves for a few seconds until crisp, then drain on kitchen paper.
Ladle the soup into espresso cups, add a small spoon of crème fraiche and gently swirl into the soup, scatter on the chestnuts and sage leaves. Serve immediately.
- Roast tomato and paprika soup By: Constanze
- Smoked Widgeon & Chard Soup By: caregrow
- Chestnut and sweet potato soup By: pippa
- pumkin soup By: toni_rumens
- Easy Roast Pumpkin Soup By: Luth
- Hugh's kale, onions and chestnuts By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- roasted butternut squash and tomato soup By: spike309
- Curried Parsnip Soup By: marcuscabot5
- Butternut squash & Ginger soup By: Constanze
- Summer stir-fry with egg-fried rice By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- French Onion Soup By: Vegetarian Recipe Club
- Kale, onions, chestnuts By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Spicy Seafood Soup By: captain_birdseye
- Roast beetroot soup with ginger By: Constanze
- Jo's Simple Carrot Soup By: Jo12345
- Fish (and chorizo) soup By: River Cottage Fish
- Aromatic Leek and potato soup By: Kristy
- Creamy Pumpkin Soup By: Haly
- Butternut & Nut Butter Soup By: Every Day
- Steve's French Onion Soup By: whiskers
- Roast Duck & Red Cabbage Soup By: caregrow
- Gazpacho By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Ham Hock Soup with Parsnip and Thyme Bread By: Winter's on the way
- Courgettte Soup By: Wendy Turner
- Courgette & Ginger Soup By: hayleyphelan
- Fennel and celeriac soup with orange zest. By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Mexican tomato & bean soup By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Split Pea and Ham Soup By: ncook
- Broccoli Garlic and Lemon Zest Soup By: naomi devlin
- Courgette & Basil Soup By: yarnsbaby
- Creamy Brussels sprouts with chestnuts and bacon By: MarkD
- Summer Veg Soup By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Minestrone Soup By: Dzign
- Chicken & Winter Vegetable Soup By: caregrow
- Carrot soup with dill and mustard By: River Cottage Herbs Handbook
- Mallorcan bean soup By: Julie D
- Gill’s Mushroom Soup By: gillM
- Nettle soup with pignuts and goats curd toast By: Three Go Mad
- Swede speltotto By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Cabbage and Chorizo Soup By: Haly
- Basil and Tomato Soup By: annsp
- Liz's Curried Root Soup By: LizardM