This is a fabulously fast bit of cookery, which gives you a toothsome, piquant dish in next to no time. Don’t attempt it with very large squid, though, or you’ll end up with a tough result – monster cephalopods tend to respond best to long, slow cooking. Small (not tiny) and medium squid are what you want here, and the key to success is speed. If you can be identified as anything more than a blur with a pair of tongs, you’re moving too slowly. And, whether you’re using a griddle plate, barbecue or frying pan, high heat must be the order of the day. For a change from paprika, try making this with sumac. A Middle Eastern spice of crushed, dried berries, it has a lovely, lemony tang that pairs beautifully with squid. You’ll find it in larger supermarkets and delicatessens.Rate this recipe:
- 30 min
- 4 min
- 4–5 small-medium squid (about 750g–1kg in total)
- 1 large garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sweet or smoked paprika, or sumac (see above), plus 1 teaspoon to
- finish the dish
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Clean the squid. Set aside the trimmed tentacles. Now cut open the squid pouches and ‘butterfly’ them, making sure you don’t cut right through the flesh. Cut each butterflied squid body into 2 or 3 smaller pieces.
Combine the squid pieces, along with the tentacles, in a bowl with the garlic, olive oil, paprika or sumac, and salt and pepper, tossing them together with your hands and making sure lots of the flavourings get trapped in the diamond cuts. Heat a barbecue, cast-iron griddle or heavy-based ridged pan until really hot. Lay the pieces of squid on it, diamond side up, and the tentacles as they fall. Let them cook for just 1 minute, then turn them all over. Cook for a minute more.
The butterflied squid pieces will want to curl up, so flip them over one more time to encourage them to do so, and allow the curled-up pieces to get a final minute of cooking. Total cooking time: 4 minutes max.
Serve immediately, with a few more pinches of paprika or sumac flicked over the squid. On the side: a few dressed, peppery salad leaves, such as rocket, mustard and baby kale. And, if you want to make a main course out of it, chips.
There are no comments available
- Liz's Sauteed Squid, Broad Bean and Chorizo By: LizardM
- Chunky apple and marmalade cake By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Barbecued Little Gems and spring onions with goat’s cheese By: Every Day
- Summer Couscous with Monkey puzzle nuts By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Hugh's squid, hummus and almonds By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Spiced chicken with dates By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Deep-fried courgette flowers By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- Creole Jambalaya By: HedgerowHoney
- Kasper Gaard's squid, leek and horseradish By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Milk Chocolate and Almond Fudge By: hotchocolates
- Pesto By: River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook
- Florence Knight's kale, squid, chickpeas By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Squash stuffed with leeks By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Swedish White Chocolate Cake By: hotchocolates
- sauted chicken with beetroot jelly By: heidi1966
- Nasi Goreng By: bodhibelly
- Blueberry Muffins By: River Cottage Fruit Handbook
- Euten Lindsey's squid, courgette and lemon By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Tomato bruschetta with blue cheese and confit chilli By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- Chillies stuffed with beans By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Gill Meller's squid, grapefruit and avocado By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Spring onion galette By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Green gooseberry jam with elderflower By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Upside-down onion tart By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Hugh's squid, lemon and parsley By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Lee Mack and Robert Webb’s smoked pollock kedgeree By: Three Go Mad
- Salt and Pepper Squid with Quick Sweet Chilli Dipping Sauce By: Winter's on the way
- Cheese Spread By: happycanuck
- Cabbage and Kohlrabi By: Steff_i
- Dry-Cured Streaky Bacon By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Mushroom and Lentil Pie By: TheGourmetVegan