This is now a favourite ‘cupboard’s-bare’ recipe, shown to me by my friend Sarah Raven. With just two ingredients – onions and puff pastry – you can produce, in a short space of time, something rather smart and very tasty.Rate this recipe:
- 5-10 minutes
- 40 minutes
- About 200g of all-butter ready-made puff pastry
- 3-4 medium onions (about 350g)
- Small knob of butter
- 1 tablespoon of rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas Mark 5. Roll out the pastry to a 3–4mm thickness and cut out a 20cm circle. Wrap the pastry disc and place it in the fridge.
Peel the onions and slice each one into 6 or 8 wedges, keeping them attached at the root end. Heat the butter and oil in a 20cm tarte tatin pan or ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions, arranging them roughly in a concentric pattern. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for about 15–20 minutes, turning once or twice, until they are fairly tender, and starting to caramelise around the edges.
Trickle the balsamic vinegar over the onions and cook for a couple of minutes more, so the vinegar reduces a little. Remove from the heat�and make sure the onions are fairly evenly spread around the pan.
Lay the pastry disc over the onions and put the pan into the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, until the pastry is fully puffed up and golden.
Invert the tart on to a plate, so the sticky caramelised onions are facing up, on top of the crispy pastry. Serve straight away, ideally with a green leafy salad. You could also crumble or grate over a favourite cheese.
There are no comments available
- Cabbage and Kohlrabi By: Steff_i
- Blueberry Muffins By: River Cottage Fruit Handbook
- Courgette and parmesan bake By: Hellybrief
- Cheese Spread By: happycanuck
- Stuffed Courgette By: tamara
- Kale, onions, chestnuts By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Milk Chocolate and Almond Fudge By: hotchocolates
- Mediterranean Pasta By: flossie
- Deep-fried courgette flowers By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- Lee Mack and Robert Webb’s smoked pollock kedgeree By: Three Go Mad
- Barbecued Little Gems and spring onions with goat’s cheese By: Every Day
- Sticky Onion Marmalade By: pattesons
- Chillies stuffed with beans By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Lemon Tart By: River Cottage to the Core
- Onion and anchovy pissaladiere By: Three Go Mad
- Apple bacon - the danish adition By: The Cooking Affair
- Pesto By: River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook
- Smoked Mackerel with Spring Onions & Horseradish Mayonnaise By: somersetchef
- sauted chicken with beetroot jelly By: heidi1966
- Mussels With Cider, Green Onions And Bacon By: Every Day
- Vegetarian Haggis By: LucyEigg
- Tomato bruschetta with blue cheese and confit chilli By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- Strawberry Panzanella By: River Cottage to the Core
- Beetroot Tart Tatin By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Pear, spinach and blue cheese pizza By: River Cottage to the Core
- Merguez liver and onions By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Nasi Goreng By: bodhibelly
- Beany Lasagne (with soya milk bechamel) By: dipper
- Creole Jambalaya By: HedgerowHoney
- Squash stuffed with leeks By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Hugh's kale, onions and chestnuts By: Hugh's 3 Good Things
- Swedish White Chocolate Cake By: hotchocolates
- Summer Couscous with Monkey puzzle nuts By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- JP’s Green Tomato Chutney By: somersetchef
- Saffron and Mussel Sauce By: somersetchef
- French Onion Soup By: Vegetarian Recipe Club
- Seared squid By: River Cottage Fish