This is now a favourite ‘cupboard’s-bare’ recipe, shown to me by my friend Sarah Raven. With just two ingredients – onions and puff pastry – you can produce, in a short space of time, something rather smart and very tasty.Rate this recipe:
- 5-10 minutes
- 40 minutes
- About 200g of all-butter ready-made puff pastry
- 3-4 medium onions (about 350g)
- Small knob of butter
- 1 tablespoon of rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas Mark 5. Roll out the pastry to a 3–4mm thickness and cut out a 20cm circle. Wrap the pastry disc and place it in the fridge.
Peel the onions and slice each one into 6 or 8 wedges, keeping them attached at the root end. Heat the butter and oil in a 20cm tarte tatin pan or ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions, arranging them roughly in a concentric pattern. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for about 15–20 minutes, turning once or twice, until they are fairly tender, and starting to caramelise around the edges.
Trickle the balsamic vinegar over the onions and cook for a couple of minutes more, so the vinegar reduces a little. Remove from the heat�and make sure the onions are fairly evenly spread around the pan.
Lay the pastry disc over the onions and put the pan into the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, until the pastry is fully puffed up and golden.
Invert the tart on to a plate, so the sticky caramelised onions are facing up, on top of the crispy pastry. Serve straight away, ideally with a green leafy salad. You could also crumble or grate over a favourite cheese.
There are no comments available
- Pear, spinach and blue cheese pizza By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Squash stuffed with leeks By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Apple bacon - the danish adition By: The Cooking Affair
- Sticky Onion Marmalade By: pattesons
- Spring onion galette By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Deep-fried courgette flowers By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- Seared squid By: River Cottage Fish
- Chunky apple and marmalade cake By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Vegetarian Haggis By: LucyEigg
- Creole Jambalaya By: HedgerowHoney
- sauted chicken with beetroot jelly By: heidi1966
- JP’s Green Tomato Chutney By: somersetchef
- Nasi Goreng By: bodhibelly
- Pesto By: River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook
- Smoked Mackerel with Spring Onions & Horseradish Mayonnaise By: somersetchef
- Mussels With Cider, Green Onions And Bacon By: Every Day
- Barbecued Little Gems and spring onions with goat’s cheese By: Every Day
- Saffron and Mussel Sauce By: somersetchef
- Beany Lasagne (with soya milk bechamel) By: dipper
- Courgette and parmesan bake By: Hellybrief
- Summer Couscous with Monkey puzzle nuts By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Chillies stuffed with beans By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- French Onion Soup By: Vegetarian Recipe Club
- Green gooseberry jam with elderflower By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Hugh's kale, onions and chestnuts By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Blueberry Muffins By: River Cottage Fruit Handbook
- Lee Mack and Robert Webb’s smoked pollock kedgeree By: Three Go Mad
- Tomato bruschetta with blue cheese and confit chilli By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- Cheese Spread By: happycanuck
- Milk Chocolate and Almond Fudge By: hotchocolates
- Mushroom and Lentil Pie By: TheGourmetVegan
- Onion and anchovy pissaladiere By: Three Go Mad
- Mediterranean Pasta By: flossie
- Swedish White Chocolate Cake By: hotchocolates
- Stuffed Courgette By: tamara
- Cabbage and Kohlrabi By: Steff_i
- Merguez liver and onions By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Kale, onions, chestnuts By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Lemon Tart By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Strawberry Panzanella By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Beetroot Tart Tatin By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Dry-Cured Streaky Bacon By: River Cottage Curing & Smoking Handbook
- Spiced chicken with dates By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!