This is now a favourite ‘cupboard’s-bare’ recipe, shown to me by my friend Sarah Raven. With just two ingredients – onions and puff pastry – you can produce, in a short space of time, something rather smart and very tasty.Rate this recipe:
- 5-10 minutes
- 40 minutes
- About 200g of all-butter ready-made puff pastry
- 3-4 medium onions (about 350g)
- Small knob of butter
- 1 tablespoon of rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas Mark 5. Roll out the pastry to a 3–4mm thickness and cut out a 20cm circle. Wrap the pastry disc and place it in the fridge.
Peel the onions and slice each one into 6 or 8 wedges, keeping them attached at the root end. Heat the butter and oil in a 20cm tarte tatin pan or ovenproof frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onions, arranging them roughly in a concentric pattern. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and cook for about 15–20 minutes, turning once or twice, until they are fairly tender, and starting to caramelise around the edges.
Trickle the balsamic vinegar over the onions and cook for a couple of minutes more, so the vinegar reduces a little. Remove from the heat�and make sure the onions are fairly evenly spread around the pan.
Lay the pastry disc over the onions and put the pan into the oven. Bake for 20 minutes, until the pastry is fully puffed up and golden.
Invert the tart on to a plate, so the sticky caramelised onions are facing up, on top of the crispy pastry. Serve straight away, ideally with a green leafy salad. You could also crumble or grate over a favourite cheese.
There are no comments available
- Chillies stuffed with beans By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Vegetarian Haggis By: LucyEigg
- Sticky Onion Marmalade By: pattesons
- Spiced chicken with dates By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Beany Lasagne (with soya milk bechamel) By: dipper
- Stuffed Courgette By: tamara
- Mushroom and Lentil Pie By: TheGourmetVegan
- Mediterranean Pasta By: flossie
- Saffron and Mussel Sauce By: somersetchef
- Seared squid By: River Cottage Fish
- Onion and anchovy pissaladiere By: Three Go Mad
- sauted chicken with beetroot jelly By: heidi1966
- Barbecued Little Gems and spring onions with goat’s cheese By: Every Day
- Cheese Spread By: happycanuck
- Strawberry Panzanella By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Courgette and parmesan bake By: Hellybrief
- Blueberry Muffins By: River Cottage Fruit Handbook
- Chunky apple and marmalade cake By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Nasi Goreng By: bodhibelly
- Smoked Mackerel with Spring Onions & Horseradish Mayonnaise By: somersetchef
- Swedish White Chocolate Cake By: hotchocolates
- Beetroot Tart Tatin By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Merguez liver and onions By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Kale, onions, chestnuts By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Pesto By: River Cottage Baby and Toddler Cookbook
- Creole Jambalaya By: HedgerowHoney
- Lee Mack and Robert Webb’s smoked pollock kedgeree By: Three Go Mad
- Mussels With Cider, Green Onions And Bacon By: Every Day
- Deep-fried courgette flowers By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- Lemon Tart By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Pear, spinach and blue cheese pizza By: River Cottage Fruit Every Day!
- Cabbage and Kohlrabi By: Steff_i
- Hugh's kale, onions and chestnuts By: Hugh's Three Good Things
- Squash stuffed with leeks By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- Spring onion galette By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- JP’s Green Tomato Chutney By: somersetchef
- Green gooseberry jam with elderflower By: River Cottage Preserves Handbook
- Tomato bruschetta with blue cheese and confit chilli By: River Cottage Veg Patch Handbook
- Apple bacon - the danish adition By: The Cooking Affair
- Milk Chocolate and Almond Fudge By: hotchocolates
- Summer Couscous with Monkey puzzle nuts By: River Cottage Veg Every Day!
- French Onion Soup By: Vegetarian Recipe Club