River Cottage Canteens get involved with #wastenot
Following the start of Hugh's War on Waste, we thought we would share some of the ways in which we are reducing our waste and wider environmental impact in our Canteens.
From the outset of River Cottage, our intention was to create sites that are low carbon, low energy and consider carefully the various issues of sustainability.
We are pleased to say that our Canteens send absolutely nothing to landfill.
Here are some of the things that we are doing in our Canteens:
• We separate all our waste ready for either recycling, composting or bio digesting (food,cardboard,glass,general)
• At our Winchester Canteen, we are working on minimising food waste even further through Winnow waste technology. We expect to see a 50% reduction over the next six months.
• We produce recipes to use ingredients that could be seen as waste.
• We work with suppliers to minimise the quantity of packaging and return or reuse crates and containers.
• We work with producers to try and purchase the grade out vegetables and fruits declined by others.
• At our Axminster Canteen, we return vegetable peelings to the farm they were originally purchased from to be composted.
You can use our archive below to browse previous blog articles.